PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Other Tech Suff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

E-Book pricing...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E-Book pricing...
    Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:10am
FWIW:
Why e-books cost so much - CNET News

Rather interesting, though I have no idea to a lot of the claims. But I've always wondered why there isn't a really humongous price difference between printed and electronic.

We buy very few books, (printed) unless we can find them at a cheap price. 
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:16am
Publishers are like the recording industry was and their days are numbered, they should adapt and change or they'll simply go away and authors will self publish. Nor am I buying a lot of the "cost" of an e-book, think publishers got to the author.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:41am
IMHO. Except perhaps perishables...most stuff could be direct-shipped from manufacturers if they'd get (a) it setup and (b) develop a decent and reliable direct-shipping system.  Heck..it might save the USPS for smaller items.

I'm thinking of regular normal consumable items...not things like tiller or car parts that are needed once in a blue-moon.

By reliable shipping, to me: fast, cheap, you get what you ordered and in one piece. (And easy to send back if not.) 

Oh...plus a good ordering system that's simple and fast to use at the point-of-sale. Searching for auto-parts this last week, I'd swear some companies don't want you to find what you're looking for.

(When I was browsing at Troy-Bilt for parts (owned by MTD now)...I started to order the drive belts. (I found some locally, supposed to be the same...but just don't fit or work quite as well.)  Anyhow...$17 for the belts....$14 shipping; I didn't order.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:23pm
That's what I like about Amazon. Heck, I even got some anti-freeze from them a while back.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:33pm
Now that surprises me...that they'd ship anti-freeze.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:35pm

I swear they'll ship anything unless, I'm guessing, it's an explosive.

I doubt I saved anything but I had no Wal-mart trips planned for the near future and I needed it bad and there it was 2 days later right at the front door.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
I figure as long as it don't cost me more!

Thinking of book (reading material) prices...:  We stopped at a Kroger store this evening, which we rarely do...so I browsed a bit to see what all they had. I happened to notice a magazine rack and checked it out. Cool...they had the special edition of National Geographic Cats and Dogs

Sigh. I figured they'd want maybe 5 or 6 bucks for it. Nope...$11.99.  I passed.  Now I might pay a couple of bucks on an e-reader to read it once...and look at the pics. LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:36pm
$12!!!! Yeow.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:41pm
Don't know if you can read it all for free or just part of it at the link above.

Repeated here: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/cats-and-dogs
Just read about Alex the parrot and other smart critters.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 3:55pm

Not really about ebooks but this article articulated a lot of stuff that I just couldn't and it does so in the best way I've seen yet.

Pirates not to blame for Big Media's sales plunge

Bottom line it's adapt or die and most everybody, including me, fails to do that. At least in my case I didn't have far to fall but there are some major dinosaur companies out there that are too blind to work out another model.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:09pm
Adapt or die.  Of course, using the theory of evolution as an example...it would be helpful to know which direction at the fork in the road to take.  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:14pm

Yup and I'm not smart enough to figure that out but there are people that are and those big companies should be smart enough to grab some of them.

I just loved the riff on Oracle.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 3:00pm
Hmm. That reminds me of something I read yesterday about e-book pricing and Apple, if I can find it.

Found it:
Amazon is Obama's Mistress - Katie Kieffer

But another interesting result popped up in search results:

Is Amazon Inside Apple's OODA Loop?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 3:12pm
I didn't much buy the first article but the 2nd is very interesting.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 3:38pm

Yeah...that first one seemed...well...just a little over the top. Which is why I didn't post it when I first read it.  But glad I searched for it and ran into the second one today.  Gotta love that Department of almost Justice.

No idea how I wound up here today. Guess I never deleted the last notification from my email account..and though your last post was a new one from today. Oh well....hard to be perfect all the time. 

Post Reply Post Reply