PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Other Off The Wall Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small engine repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small engine repair
    Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 7:36am
I've given up trying to figure what ails my rider mower.  It's a first but I'm going to load it onboard a trailer (if I can get that done without a running engine) and haul it in to the repair shop.  I checked with them yesterday and they have a 10-12 day backlog on rider mowers.  That surprised me but considering the time of year and the nature of rider mowers I guess it shouldn't have.  I feel like I've been defeated, not able to do a DIY fix.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:21pm
Nah, you just had to bring in more help.  Defeated is what you see when there is an old rusty carcass left from when something was never fixed, at least IMHO.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:29pm
Thanks for your encouragement however obstacles have reared their ugly heads.  I got the mower loaded, hooked up the trailer and found one tire I was hoping would be ok enough ... isn't.  The trailer has been sitting for a couple of years.  Anyway I finally got it backed into position to get the compressor hose to it but the bead has parted company with the rim and I haven't been able to get 'em back enough for the tubeless tire to hold air.  Nothing is ever as easy as one imagines it.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:36pm
Are you aware of the "strap" trick for reseating uninflated tubeless tires?
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:47pm
Thank you.  I'm aware of it but had forgotten.  I'll see if I can apply it after lunch (I'm also having trouble with the lug nuts ... rusted, and I have gotten one of six loose so far).  I'm calorie empty and need to refuel.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:17pm
Overnight soak in WD40.....?
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:39pm
They are soaking as we speak.  I'm glad it's only 75 degrees now and not 85.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:48pm
83 here but feels like 90. In fact 90 is forecast. And no sign at all of the small chance of rain in the forecast. Ah, I seen they've taken the chance of rain out of the forecast. Doh!
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:57pm
Three loose now!  I think I have the problem figured out and the problem is 80.  80 is not like 50, 60, or even 70. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:06pm
I understand completely. I've had a lot of not like 40 or 50 lately....
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:49pm
Hallelujah!  All six now loose.  I applied the old "lengthen the leverage" trick (long pipe slipped over the relatively short lug  wrench ... and also a little strategic heat applied to the last stubborn nut.  I thought I was going to twist the lug wrench into.  A 30 minute job stretched into 3/4 of the day.  Now I will waste a little more time with R&R.  If I get it to the shop today it'll be a miracle.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:59pm
HeeHee  Good reading...and I hope I'm laughing with you.  It sure does help to have a sense of humor when things don't go right.

And I'm a dummy....what's the "strap" fix?

Nothing like a good cheater bar to help loosen things up...and prayers that the nut doesn't round off. 
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:33pm
Something like a ratchet tie down strap routed around the center of the circumference of the tire, tighten it down a little and it spreads the sidewalls out to where the bead is in contact with the rim and will hold air. 
I finally am hooked up, tire changed and aired up and after I clean up a bit I'll drive 'er in.  Then knock off for the weekend. Wink
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:49pm
A trucker showed me the strap fix, I've used it a bunch since and it's never failed. Until then it was a bear to get a fully deflated tubeless to reseal and while it's been a while I'm not sure I actually ever did it.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:51pm
Sounds like a good night for a visit with a bud...or two. Wink (Or maybe a Shiner.)
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 6:03am
That was a heck of a run.  Bet sleep wasn't hard to find last night.  Good job!
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 6:13am
This morning my muscles and joints tell me that I haven't done much real physical labor recently.  I did a bit of pre-bedtime sleeping in my recliner last night.  I actually don't like that - waking up groggy, making the coffee for morning and winding down the kitchen before 'really' going to bed. 
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 3:57pm
Speaking of the "Strap fix" for a tubeless tire - Now here's another trucker "fix" that has it's good points and possible bad points.  Also known as a "Redneck tire fix" and in some cases might should be put in the Darwin Award thread -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 4:17pm
WhoWhee...think I'll pass on that trick. It gave me visions of a tire necklace. LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 4:28pm
I saw them try that on Mythbusters. A video is here. My recollection is that it worked but the tire kept catching fire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>