PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Internet/networking -> LAN and local network
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dead switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead switch
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:01am

I don't know how long I've had it, not all that long since it's a gigabit switch but my Netgear GS116 switch has finally given up the ghost. After years of being unnoticed first it was locking up about once a day and now about every five minutes.

Goodbye old friend, don't recall how much I paid for you but I'm guessing given the number of bits you've processed you did a doggone good job.

Just one of those pieces you expect to work. Even took me a while to figure out where the problem was when it first started flaking out.

Fortunately the Cisco SD2008T is obsolete and pretty cheap for an 8 port gigabit switch.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 11:57am
Was he your first gigabit switch?
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:00pm

I dunno, I don't think so, I think I had some 5 port guys first as I was slowly upgrading from 100 and probably went ahead with the smaller ones as needed before I went to expense of the 20 port guy.

Still a trusted friend for a long time.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 8:20am
Yep, ya just gotta appreciate the ones who work well over the long haul.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:48pm
What a difference. With the old switch I rarely got much over 35MB/second. With the new Cisco switches I'm always above 60MB/second.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:53pm
I might add that when I got disk to disk on the slower machine (to a slower drive) I only get 62MB/second. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 3:08pm
We're the specs the same on the old and new? Or the newer one rated faster?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 4:14pm
Same/same, just an unmanaged gigabit switch but there are chipsets and there are chipsets.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 4:19pm
Sounds like a happy good deal then. A blessing in disguise maybe. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 4:23pm
Truly. Now doing net transfers faster than I can via USB.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 5:21pm
Very nice.  For large volume transfers it seems to be best for us to make net transfers rather than USB as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply