PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> Hardware tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Heat Sync

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Heat Sync
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:43pm
I just became the proud owner of a snazzy new cpu fan.  Specs and all are at the link below.  The stock fan that came with my processor was just too darn loud.  The new one is profoundly quieter and comes with a small control that you stick to the outside of your box so you can adjust the fan speed to provide the lowest noise with the necessary cooling.  It even came with it's own thermal grease.  Just never tried using anything but the stock fan before and am very glad I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-CNPS9700LED-Ultra-Quiet-Cooler/dp/B000JSFZPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328730638&sr=8-1
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:54pm
There is a lot of chatter out there about heatsink fans sounding like a jet engine.  I don't have that problem although I have looked and shopped at a lot.  I'm pretty hearing impaired and if without hearing aids I'm deaf as a post.  Zalman most always gets good marks.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:46am
I'd seen some pics of it but didn't realize it came with an external control. Nifty.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:44am
Excellent! Nothing like a noisy computer to drive you nuts. Well, in my case further nuts.
charlesbrown678 View Drop Down

Quote charlesbrown678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Randy

I just became the proud owner of a snazzy new cpu fan.  Specs and all are at the link below.  The stock fan that came with my processor was just too darn loud.  The new one is profoundly quieter and comes with a small control that you stick to the outside of your box so you can adjust the fan speed to provide the lowest noise with the necessary cooling.  It even came with it's own thermal grease.  Just never tried using anything but the stock fan before and am very glad I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-CNPS9700LED-Ultra-Quiet-Cooler/dp/B000JSFZPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328730638&sr=8-1

coooll... well the best thing is the DISCOUNT.... 55% Shocked.... awesome
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 8:10am
Yeah, the processor specs mention something about "quiet technology" but that wasn't the same as quiet in the case.  Didn't notice much chatter in the reviews about the processor's fan being that noisy, but comments sure showed up when searching for a quiet fan for that model of processor.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 8:12am

Dunno how old the previous one was but those bearings can go out quick if only slightly imperfect off the line, that sucker is doing a lot of spinning.

Nor do I expect that they're even tested much after installation.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:07am
It was new.  That little fan was working very smoothly.  It had no problems running, no odd noises such as comes with bad bearings, just moving air.  Also, as the processor warmed up it got louder and louder.  The cpu fan and heat sync that took it's place is probably twice it's size in cross section and way more surface area for cooling.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:32am
Ah, underdesigned from the git go.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:53am
That's my take, it was designed function okay as a heat dissipater but with no regard to how much noise it generated.  What's kinda funny is that this processor is viewed as great for over-clocking.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 1:53pm

I didn't get the one Randy got, I was concerned about clearance but the CPU fan on my primary multimedia machine died today.

Fortunately I found an exact replacement which is surprisingly easy to remove/reinstall.

A couple of days ago it was (another) switch, today a fan. I'm on a roll.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 3:02pm
That's aggravating to have two outages a couple of days apart.  At least you were able to get a replacement without having to order one.  No reason to make a change if it's quiet enough to suit you and heat is not a problem.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 4:11pm
Ah, I had to order it, it's one of the few things that I don't have in stock. I did have a small fan but it was way too small for the carrier, must be very, very old. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 4:26pm
Better than your main box being down.  What are you using most of the time these days?  Laptop?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 5:10pm
Primary is a desktop I built 3 or 4 years ago. The machine that lost the fan is an old primary I build in 2007. First cpu fan that has died on me, not bad when I think about it.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 5:54pm
I can't get away from a desktop.  It's just more enjoyable to use with a full size keyboard and nicer sound.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 5:59pm
And two monitors. Just have problems working on one. Seems like it is always web, spreadsheet, editor or somesuch all interfacing  and that is hard for me to do on a single monitor.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 3:09am
Maybe you need a new tech support? BTS
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 6:39am
Indeed. My current tech support is weak at best.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 7:33am
My tech support does not "whack" but the way it approaches a problem is 'bout the same .... and results are pretty much the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>