PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> Security
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your AV software pick?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your AV software pick?
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 7:57am
What are y'all using these days for AV real time protection? 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:24am
Microsoft security essentials and Superantispyware

I run Malwarebytes once a week but am thinking of getting the paid version for real time protection.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:28am
I am using MSE but it's starting to throw off an error in the event log. I've checked it out and MS says to disregard it but I sure hate red events.....
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 6:01pm
I've been using the most cost effective one that seems to integrated well with Windows: MSE

Actually I didn't do it for cost.  It was a simple solution to a networking problem. I had Esset but couldn't keep our Windows 7 computers working together happily in Homegroup. The tweaks supplied by Esset either didn't work or didn't work for long.  So I finally just switched to MSE.

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 6:43pm
It's just me so there is no network involved and I'm still plodding along with AVG (free) and it's done a good job as far as I know.  It's even getting pretty good ratings these days.  I run Superantispyware now and then and have Adaware but it's been a long time since I've updated or run it.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 7:40pm
Don - Do you think this could help?...

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1220097

... 2nd post down.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:05pm
I checked event viewer and no errors were showing up in my log.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:16pm
Good lead, thanks, will give it a shot first thing in the am.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:58am
I checked event viewer. No major errors except one about updating...which I think self-corrects itself. Looks like the error happens right after first boot.

The only other errors, mentioned in Randy's links, are from side-by-side and Essent. Which I don't really pay any attention to. (Because as long as I can remember, Win7 has thrown out constant side-by-side and Esent errors.)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:59am
Rats, didn't do it, still getting the event id 3002 0x80004005. Seems that there isn't a solution, or if there is, Microsoft doesn't know what it is.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 7:44am

Found it. It was related to the AMD video drivers which I hadn't updated for a zillion years. It was either the AMD external event service or a reinstalled of the C++ Redistributable Package, don't know which but it was one or the other. Or maybe both.

It also corrected a DCOM server timeout error as well as a side-by-side error related to MSE so I'm back to a totally clean event log.

That'll last for a day...if I'm lucky.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:10am
Still, that's a win! 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:37am

Ah, spoke too soon, still getting the side by side error:

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll" on line 10. The element imaging appears as a child of element urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^assembly which is not supported by this version of Windows

I've completely removed and reinstalled and it appears that Microsoft has no solution so I'll either try and forget it or use another AV program.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
I'll try and remember to look again after a bit.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:18pm
Yep. Get that one every day, but I think it solves itself after updating. I think.
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft Antimalware
Date:          2/9/2012 3:45:17 PM
Event ID:      3002
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Yes
Description:
Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
     Feature: Behavior Monitoring
     Error Code: 0x80004005
     Error description: Unspecified error
     Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:23pm

The problem was that I had an up to date engine installed.

Plus the "has failed" really bothered me along with "in order to enable real time protection". In fact it doesn't fail and real time protection is still working.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:57pm
Hmmm.

Do you use Homegroup? 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:20pm
I do.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:32pm
And get it to work properly with other AV aside from MSE?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:51pm
Haven't triedthat I can recall. Is that a problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>