PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Linux Based
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pinguy OS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinguy OS
    Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:30pm
It's good to keep a boot disk handy when playing with multi-boot setups.

If you keep hitting the down arrow key the count down should stop when the Grub screen comes up.

Kinda doubt Win7 was added later.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:30am
I think I saw something on modifying the boot options...but (ROFL) I can't remember if it was online or while browsing Pinguy.  Yeah...I doubt it was added also...I just missed it the first boot (between small text, short time on screen...and expecting to see the Windows boot screen.)

But...at least it's installed and working on my main laptop. Thumbs Up
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:28am
Very nice!  That is indeed a win.

You can modify the list but it appears to me to take a lot of effort instead of being a quick fix.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 5:15am
I've been playing around more with Pinguy. Different computers.  So far,

a. I restored my Win7 image on the ToshibaPro laptop. Just "cause".

b. It works a lot better on the big heavy HP laptop than it does the Toshiba. It's always been like that. Maybe because there seems to be more geeks with HP's than Toshiba's.)

c.  And I did install it on the desktop a few days ago.  Wow. Sweet. Except for a little glitch. But it really works the best on the desktop. Don't know if it's because it's built with individual components. or just because it's a 3.0 GHz.  Or maybe because it's so much easier to see on its 22" monitor. 

Oh....the "glitch" I ran into last night was while viewing a video on Youtube.  I thought the color was "off" because it was an old video.  But it turned out all Youtube videos are off color. Not just "off"...but things are the wrong color. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:14pm
For future reference:
For Flash on Linux, There Are Open Player Alternatives | PCWorld Business Center

A little late now. The install on the desktop got a little flaky...video. Jerky and "stuff". Oddly while trying to fix the youtube flash off-color problem, I tried the "find other drivers" link. There were two additional drivers for my video card. I'd activate one, reboot and have a message that it was "activated but not in use".  Same thing for the second video driver "activated but not in use".  But flash would play correctly with one of them, but not the other...even though it said "not in use". Odd
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:23pm
For the heck of it I tried one of the repair options from the live cd. Repair packages but leave everything else alone. (Not its' exact wording...but close.)  That made things much worse, so I just wiped it out for now and did an image restore.

Note: I did find a way that seems to work pretty decent for the auto-install. Not sure why, but it installs OK then.  Boot into Win7, and go to computer disk management. Use the "shrink volume" on the Win7 drive.   (I shrunk it by about 40GB...plenty enough to test a Linux distro.)  But...leave it alone as unallocated space. On my previous trials I formatted it ahead of time with ext4...and it just didn't work. Leaving it as unallocated space and the installed put Pinguy there slicker than snot.

Edit Note: The above was to install Pinguy along side Win7, instead of replacing it. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 2:28pm
Never run across a youtube hiccup like that.  Weird.

I've been learning several new things from this OS.  It's on a laptop and a desktop.  My youngest used the laptop while her Mac was getting repaired with no complaints, except she could not watch Netflix on it.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:35pm
I redid it on the desktop. Haven't updated things too much yet and it hasn't happened yet. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:37am
The youtube links started showing up with inverted colors for me in Firefox so I copied the links and pasted them into Opera and everything was fine.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 4:32pm
Hadn't tried that. Kinda fun with Opera. I thought Opera was installed but didn't see it...so I entered Opera into the search box. Nope...but up popped several options...including the option to open software center and install Opera. Very helpful Pinguy is. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 6:38pm
So true.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 6:18pm
Pinguy isn't exactly Ubuntu...but it's a close enough cousin for that this works just spiffy for Pinguy/Win7. 

How To Easily Change Your Dual-Booting PC’s Default OS - How-To Geek
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:50pm
Nice to know.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 7:33pm
Just finished most of the tweaking of a new install of Pinguy OS 12.04 LTS, and it will receive 5 years of support.  It has a few pluses and minuses compared to version 11.04, but overall it's working well.  It's still the most complete version of Linux I have run across.  It's a combination of Ubuntu, Linux Mint and additional software from a variety of sources.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:23pm
Ah...when we get settled in, I'll have to check it out. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:30pm
I've had it on a spare laptop for about a month.  If some updates fail, you just wait a few days and try again and they get caught up.  There are so many repositories included that the odds of one or more being down at some point are pretty good.  Even at that it's still nice to be notified when any of the software has a newer version available to upgrade to.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Karl_db

Pinguy isn't exactly Ubuntu...but it's a close enough cousin for that this works just spiffy for Pinguy/Win7. 

How To Easily Change Your Dual-Booting PC’s Default OS - How-To Geek

Startup Manager is history  Pretty much replaced by Grub Customizer
Grub Customizer in Launchpad

Launchpad PPA for Grub Customizer : Daniel Richter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234