PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Other Tech Suff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not high tech more like tool time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not high tech more like tool time
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:22pm
A rant, kind of:  I'm replacing all the gas lines in my chain saw because of deterioration.  Probably caused by the ethenol in the gasoline.  In order to make it easier for one operation I bought a pair of locking forceps today in the fishing dept. of WM.  They are a kind of slim locking 'pliers'.  Made in China of course and not that expensive but  they are a hinged tool and the end is dipped in plastic for comfort.  Problem is that the whole locking device was encased in the plastic also.  I had to carve that portion off to be able to operate them.  Now I don't think the Chinese are stupid about tools but this shows a total lack of quality control, oversight by management or something serious in the process.  Buy American if you can!
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:46pm
Ah yes...I have two of those...maybe 10" long. Which is how I broke the connection on the end of a SATA hard drive cable. (That's what I use them for...the desktop PC.)

I wonder why they do that...cover them or wrap them up that it almost takes a Sawzall to free them.  (I'm thinking of some other items I've bought like that.)  Maddening!
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:22pm
Handy little gadgets.  Almost as good as vice grips.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 4:00am
I'm glad Bob mentioned this. Mine are about 10 inches long..but could be longer. And searching for forceps, after seeing the pic, I found some at eBay that were 16 and 24 inches. Mine are just long enough to reach some of the connections on the MOBO, but leave my hand fighting the edge of the case.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 12:00am
I give credit to the small engine repair guys out there.  The supposedly simple job of replacing the gas lines on my chain saw turned out to be more of a project than I thought.  Remove carburetor, linkage, choke and on-off switch lever, ugh!  I've gotten 'er done but for one puzzle about the trigger to figure out but it wasn't a one star (easy) repair IMO.  Threading fuel lines that seem too thick for the opening into the tank was not easy.  I will crow after I get it all back together and it starts and runs.

Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 4:10am

I had to throw in the towel on that repair as well. The chain saw guys replaced it with no problem.

Then about a week after I got it back....needed a carb kit.

Sweet mysteries of life.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 7:09am
Had to replace the fuel lines on my weed eater not long ago and those things seem to be just a bit too thick for installation, but you don't have to dismantle much to get to them.  I've borrowed a chain saw a couple of times, with their initial offer of aid, but it always came with a friend who operated it.  Glad I've stuck with a bow saw all these years.  There is no telling what damage could have been wrought with a chainsaw in my hands, and now the maintenance aspect you've shared I am even more convinced.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 7:38am
I only have to replace the lines every 10 years or so but I gotta tell ya, if you can keep from cutting something off nothing beats them for major tree surgery.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:04am
Two key tips I picked up from my benevolent small engine guy and Youtube videos to make gas line threading easier; not easy but easier:
1. Cut the end of the line in a taper of 45 to 60 deg
2. A drop of oil around the opening to be threaded. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:22am
Better left to my betters.  I only cut the small ones down and the branches on the bigger ones.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Bob

Two key tips I picked up from my benevolent small engine guy and Youtube videos to make gas line threading easier; not easy but easier:
1. Cut the end of the line in a taper of 45 to 60 deg
2. A drop of oil around the opening to be threaded. 
I tapered the line but the drop of oil did not occur to me.  Gotta try to remember that one.  It blows my mind how many very useful videos there are on Youtube, and for a huge variety of topics.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 2:29pm
Ok, I figgered out the trigger/spring/trigger lock thing, got it stuck back together, mixed up a new gas/oil mixture (added a little Stabil for good measure), filled the tank. 
Prime
Prime (x 6 or 7)
Pull
Pull
VAAA-RRROOOOM, pop, pop, pop
A 98% successful job because it doesn't want to idle without my finger on the trigger but I'll think about that and get to it later.  I'm happy!
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 2:44pm
That's a win for sure!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 2:45pm

I hesitate to mention it but....carb kit...

When I took it back after the fuel line the guy said "99% of them need a carb overhaul when the fuel line is replaced" and all I could think of was "why didn't ya tell me when it was in for the line" but then I guess if it ain't broke.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 4:19pm
As long as you're happy Bob. When you get it figured out I'll let you figure out my little Mantis tiller. About the same thing and I had to set the idle a little faster to keep it going. Of course now that fix means the tines slowly turn instead of stopping at idle speed.  LOL
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 11:02pm
Even those simple carburetors, or most of them, have jets, a low speed jet and a high speed one.  Actually after a little work my saw is smoothing out with the idling.  Still not quite right and maybe I'll have to check on the low speed jet adjustment.  Actually after having taken it apart with parts all over the place I'm kind of proud just to get it back together, then for it to run is a Hurrah!
 Post Reply Post Reply