PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> Applications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer On Lan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer On Lan
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:57pm
When moving files and folders from one PC to another, especially when setting up a new one, it gets very time consuming transferring my files.  There was a great app for moving files from one PC to another if both were on the same network that I was using.  It's drawback was it just worked on Linux.  Well, since Novell had the rights to it and it was no longer being developed nobody was supporting it.  (boneheads!)  Well, in one of the posts talking about the situation a guy offered a better solution that works on Windows, the Mac OS and Linux, basically anything that can run Java.  I gave it a try and it works very well.  It only uses your local network, no going to the internet with your files.  Drop a set of files in a nested folder on the PC you select in the list and it moves all the files to a specified folder you get to choose.  It was a sure enough win in this house.

http://code.google.com/p/transfer-on-lan/
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:56pm
Cool. Just maybe what the doc ordered. I was thinking tonight I need to find my link on how to setup XP and Win7. Maybe this will do it for me.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 6:53pm
Looked a little more tonight. No help file/info? Or just install and go from there?
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:40pm
It's a .jar file.  You just open it in Java and the app window pops up..
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 5:51pm
So far I just tried it using the Windows version on a laptop with XP and one with Win7.  I'll have to play with it a bit more. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 3:30pm
Which reminds me...I haven't tried it, yet, on Pinguy.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 4:45pm
Just figured out how to share a folder on POS using samba.  Win7 and Pinguy can see the folder on the network.

Also have a usb drive plugged into our router.  POS and Win7 can see it.  Kinda cool.  Thinking about plugging my external drive into the router for backups.  Fiddled with servers a bit but no joy so far until this router provided a limited file sharing setup.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:56pm
Hmm. Transfer-on-lan seems to be blocked in Ubuntu/Pinguy. As it's not marked as an executable.

http://https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/ExecutableBit
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:45pm
Nah, you just have to set the properties as executable.  Just right click on the file and select "Properties", select the "Permissions" tab, then check the box by "Allow executing file as a program".
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:21pm
On the jar? I'm back in Windows now...but I actually thought of that...but right clicking on it did not give a "properties" option.  I assumed it was due to a security feature.  I'll check again tomorrow.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:14pm
I was talking about in PinguyOS.  In Windows you open it with Java.  It's a Java app.  Just double click it and select Java as the app to open it with.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 3:33am
Oops...I thinking I was confusing when I said I was back in Windows.  Meaning I couldn't check it out in Pinguy.  In Windows I downloaded and used the Windows executable. Worked fine.

In Pinguy is where I selected open with Java and get that it's not marked as an executable, so sorry about that. And in Pinguy is where I right clicked on it to check properties...but no properties option shows up.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 5:47am
With my setup by default the app was set to run in Sun Java 6 Runtime.  When I right clicking on the file and at the top of the context menu has "Open with Sun Java 6 Runtime" and at the bottom of the context menu it has "Properties".  When clicking on "Properties" and then selecting the tab labeled "Permissions" there is a check box by "Allow executing file as program" that must have a check in it.

To run scripts in Linux I make a new text file, enter the script lines in the text file, save the file and close it then right click on the file's icon and go to the "Permissions" tab in the "Properties" menu and check the "Allow executing file as program" box, then close the menu. That makes the file executable not the file's extension like in Windows, for example ".exe" or ".msi".

The ".desktop" file mentioned at your link would be trying to run a jar file, for example, which is not allowed unless it is marked as executable first.

I hope that helps.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 3:17pm
Nevermind.

I hadn't extracted the files..and apparently properties doesn't show unless you do.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 11:04pm
LOL!  Thought I'd have to drive up there so we could figure it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply