PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Linux Based
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Linux Mint Debian (LXDE)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linux Mint Debian (LXDE)
    Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:40pm
The newer versions of Linux have started installing touchpad oriented GUI's.  Not much fun on a desktop PC.  Ubuntu's latest creation is a mess, imo.

Well, been trying a variety of Linux distros on my new box without much joy.  Tried Linux Mint Debian last night.  Had about 4 issues to straighten out with the system updates and the resulting system seems to be solid.  It's based on Debian Testing and is a rolling distribution, which means it is continuously updated and will not require a reinstall every 6 months to 2 years.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:42pm
I'm not sure which Mint I have installed. I have in on a spare hard drive so I just exchanged that out on the HP DV8000 laptop.  Need to quit tinkering with other peoples and get back to breaking my own. LOL
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 3:56pm
ROFLOL! Yes you must!

Just cleaned up all the pieces and parts from dismantling one and building another.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 4:21pm
My sweetie said something like, "Well, I hope they're paying you a whole lot to fix their stuff!"

Pay?? Question
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 4:46pm
You ought to throw up a shingle and do it for real.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 3:03am
That sounds like my sweetie. But she should understand why not.  Nobody wants to pay for "service"...whether it's computer, a broke microwave, washing machine or automotive. Unless it can be fixed for ten or twenty bucks.  I'm convinced that folks would just throw out a car instead of paying to fix them...if new vehicles were as inexpensive.

The more I tinkered with fixing things, the more I understood why repair shops just save the data, wipe out the HD and reinstall the OS: volume.  If I charged this fellow just minimum wage rate, I figure he'd owe me 2-300 dollars between the laptop and printer.  I sure couldn't depending on the lower 2.25 an hour rate plus tips to bring in enough to eat. LOL

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 7:50am
Sometimes bartering works in those situations.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 7:52am
And sometimes the victim is just generous. It's only happened twice but those times I've received very nice gifts the best being a Masters cap signed by Ben Crenshaw. Yeow!
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 8:51am
Very nice!  Generous indeed!
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:26am
Indeed and very much treasured. The hat is hanging on the corner of a framed Masters flag signed by Crenshaw along with a copy of the SI issue with him on the cover. Ben is big stuff down here.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 10:36pm
Linux Mint Debian is gone and Linux Mint 12 is in it's place.It's a bit wonky at times with the new GUI but it will do for now as my main Linux OS.  The main reason is that Linux Mint Debian is not really being developed as a rolling release, it's more of an after thought release, that is after they get done with Linux Mint 12.
 Post Reply Post Reply