PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Other & Virtual machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where's the 98/SE topic???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where's the 98/SE topic???
    Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:56am
Just kidding.  Almost.  But what a hoot last night.  I was looking for a screw in my computer junk last night...but found an old hard 40GB IDE drive labeled "98/SE" instead. 

To make a long story short...I had it connected to the desktop USB via an adapter.  Found some boot settings to tinker with in the BIOS that seemed to indicated it was possible to boot from USB.

And next thing I know after rebooting...WOW...Win98/SE is up on the screen. Ugly of course. Very ugly. Generic video. No sound. No network, et al.  Just the basic since there's no way to install all the correct drivers for this hardware to an old OS.

Apparently when the MOBO died back in '05(?)...I just labeled the hard drive and threw it into storage. Can't believe I had five 6GB partitions back then. 

Almost like having an old friend come for a visit. ROFL 
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:04am
Heehee - smaller was better back then it seems and just the opposite now.  I might have an old HDD around with 98FE on it ... and I know I have several b/u images of drives with 98.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 12:18pm
Sure did like Win98.  You could figure out quite a bit by just poking around in the folders and seeing what was in them.  Had a calendar program on our Win98 box that was excellent to use with a Palm Pilot.  There were some categories in one of the windows you could not change, but after poking around a bit I found the database and just changed the categories in it.  Worked beautifully.  Cheers to good OS. (sips coffee)  [:-)]
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:53pm
The bad thing was...I was looking at some of the programs and especially links in favorites...and couldn't recall for the life of my what they were for. 

I was going to take a screen shot and save it to a floppy disk...but 98 froze up trying to format it.

I may play with it a little bit to see what's on it.

It amazes me that an OS would do anything at all under the circumstances.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:47pm
I hope this link works. I did take a screen shot of the desktop last night and pasted in Paint. Before it froze trying to format a floppy.

I thought Don might get a kick out of it. There's only a couple of shortcuts on the desktop. But as usual, the first one I do on every computer I've had for years...is always to the same website. It's in the upper left.  (I took the pics with my camera...so they're a little yucky.)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6327919e6d799fd9&resid=6327919E6D799FD9!568&parid=root
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:51pm
Link is fixed now. I forgot the forum software adds an http:// prefix in front of the https:
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 5:35pm
Good old Paint.  No telling how many pics and graphics files I fixed or altered in some way with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply