PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Sports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tebow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tebow
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:24pm

I'm not following football much but I like how this kid is making heads explodes. It sounds to me like he is a real leader. I haven't heard him much but I'm guessing from what I have heard he wouldn't credit God for their victories but would advise that we praise God in all things, win or lose.

Some of the images on http://tebowing.com/?srt=1 are kind of silly but then you have the ones like this. Here's the original caption:

"“Taken immediately after saving this patients life”

Te-Makingtheworldabetterplaceonepatientatatime-ing"

Yup, a leader.

Then you get the crap like this:

Tebow fever grips Denver

"DENVER — Maybe this is how the residents of Bethlehem felt."

Cut me a break.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 5:35pm
I have the same impression, a leader and a very mature individual.  He knows football is a game.

I like his response in the WSJ write up to people trying to give him a hard time about his putting his faith out front.  "The one loss in Mr. Tebow's record as Denver's starting quarterback this season came in a 45-10 blowout against the Detroit Lions. Mr. Tebow completed just 46% of his passes. He suffered seven sacks, including one by Stephen Tulloch, after which Mr. Tulloch took a knee, "Tebowing" as Mr. Tebow struggled to rise.

The article gives some background on him that is real telling.  He sure seems like the real deal.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 6:32pm
The Mile High Messiah? For crying out loud.

I enjoyed the WSJ write up. I haven't followed anything about him...except headlines and short teaser blurbs.  If the last sentence of the of it is true, then I say bully for him. 

But win or lose, Tim Tebow will compete hard—and when he's done, he will thank God and remind all of us that it's just a game.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 7:49pm
In football circles it's said that his passing is unorthodox and not too effective and he's a middling quarterback but it's something about his leadership that brings the team together.  I thought after reading of his first game disaster "Uh oh, another college star to find out the Pros are a different breed of cat" But his miraculous (tongue in cheek) performances since have people taking notice.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:36pm
I also gather that he's raised the peformance of his team mates. The kicker for instance.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 9:23am
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 10:12am
Oooh - It boggles the mind, the "what if?".  I do hope that was written 'tongue in cheek'.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 10:18am
Heh...  Good point.

The guy that wrote that didn't seem to realize that one of Tebow's biggest fans is Jewish and launched the website Tebowing.com. 

(As a side note, seems to me the only reason 23 of the 25 most watched TV programs this fall have been NFL games is that there is little else to watch on TV.)

Man talk about beating up a straw man.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 10:42am

I kept thinking it was satire but I never saw a tip off....I think the Rabbi was serious.

Also seriously deranged.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 10:54am
Yeah, I reread it several times not wanting to be stupid by posting something that was obvious.  Nary a sign to me either.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 12:00pm
From the guy that came up with Tebowing.com: "Mr. Kleinstein adds that a lot of support for the trend has come from rabbis. 'It has made prayer in public something to not be ashamed of,' he says. 'I think that crosses all religious boundaries.' "
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 6:44pm
Another wow. Surely it had to be tongue in cheek, I would hope. Nobody can be that nutsy...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 6:54pm
Saw a segment on it on Fox this afternoon, he was serious.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 7:18pm
So...how much does he look like Obama?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 7:26pm
The "funny" part is that he specilizes in interfath stuff. Uh huh, sure.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:16am
I usually think of Jewish folk as pretty tolerant people but I know it's not across the board.  We lived across the court from a Jewish couple in Madison that were as prejudiced as any skinhead Aryan brother.  We had a black couple, friends or ours, over during Christmas and I was actually worried about it at the time altho now I see how stupid I was at the time.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 4:24am
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 12:12am
Just about expected this day and age. I have never understood the relationship between the Jets and Tebow and probably never will. At best he played a few plays in a few games, at worst the Jets may have ruined his career big time.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Bob

...at worst the Jets may have ruined his career big time.

There's three possibilities that keep coming to mind when I think of "why" they got him. That, sadly, is one of them; done out of spite by somebody who just didn't like him. 

The other two are (a) for the publicity and (b) to motivate the other players, and not in a good way. (At one time at my old work place, the owners and supervisors attended classes by an expert which included a session on "controlled conflict" or something like that.   Do or say something, anything, to get employees angry and excited.  Excited employees work off their anger by working harder, producing more. (One of the supervisors who didn't appreciate the class told me about that in private.)
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 7:38am
Controlled conflict sounds like a risky proposition, and a hellava sorry method of leadership IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>