PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Hardware -> Hard Drives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard drive prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard drive prices
    Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 7:55am
That's a very good sign.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 4:22pm
Still waiting for SSD to drop like crazy. Or maybe I'm crazy for expecting them to drop...
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 6:20pm
Mebbe when hard drives ramp back up?
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 7:27pm
Dunno. I'm waiting to see what all happens with those crazy Iranians...
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:01am
Tell me if this will work - I have an external SATA case I acquired over the years and I have a desktop with a SATA HDD in it sitting on it's side and out of commission.  My laptop has an eSATA socket ... If I get an eSATA to SATA cable and cannibalize the HDD from the desktop, is there any reason that wouldn't work as an external backup drive?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:04am
Yup, that should work. It most won't be hot swappable but then I never hot swap anyway, just too fraught with potential problems.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:56am
The external case had a cable with it.  All hooked up and it appears fine.  I haven't done any backing up but everything is seen and apparently normal.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:43pm
Actually it is hot-swap with the laptop eSATA connection. Just like a USB.  At least mine on this Toshiba laptop is.

You have a cable that fits your laptop? I had to wait to use mine till I ordered one online. All I had was regular SATA cables with the "L" shaped connection, instead of the eSATA one. (On the right in this pic.)

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:00pm
What came in the box was not eSATA.  Turned out to be an odd looking female connect into the external drive and and a USB connect to the laptop.  My laptop does have an eSATA receptacle but the external has an odd plug I'm not familiar with.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:15pm
I'll try and look tomorrow and see if there's any numbers or such on mine. 
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 11:29pm
It is like this cable (although cricut is Circuit).  The one on the left connects the external drive and the one on the right is a standard USB.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 3:47am
Ah...OK...it's a regular USB case.

They do make combination eSATA/USB enclosures. With or w/o cooling fan. I have one w/fan that I use for image backups.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 3:48am
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 6:58am
Yeah, I'm learning.  I hadn't really looked at the external case much .... still in the box.  My early thoughts on this were that I was connecting a hard drive directly to a computer.  What I have here is just another USB device connected. It'll do until I figure out what I'm doing I suppose.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 4:39pm
The eSATA is nice....a lot faster than USB. At least USB2. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:56am

Looking better.

Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARX for $119 @ Amazon. I had put it on my wish list a while back and it's dropped from $139 since then (can't recall exactly when I put it on).

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:47pm
Yep, that's encouraging.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:50pm
Don't know if it's true but there was a rumor of a 2tb drive at Newegg for $10 less. If it did exist it was gone by the time I got there. Regardless prices are going in the right direction.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:27am

Not much ink on this but it looks like prices are really coming down.

Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARX

$99. Sigh, plus tax for Texans.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:52am
Online tax - I saw a news item that sounds like all online purchases will soon be taxed.  Actually I can see the logic in such a tax but that doesn't make me like it any better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>