PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Internet/networking -> WWW
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CenturyLink..dead horse too?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CenturyLink..dead horse too?
    Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 3:12pm
I ran one more test after that...to a New York server...it only gets worse.  
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:09am
Did it get better...yes. Worse...also 'yes'. Very inconsistent.  I ran speed tests off and on all night and got pretty good at guessing down/up results just by the initial latency results.  The longer the latency (ping)...the slower the speeds.

Will keep monitoring.  If my patience holds out...it will be interesting to see if there's a pattern here (faster the first part of the week...and trouble the latter part.)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:22pm
Download Speed: 756 kbps (94.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 482 kbps (60.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 958 ms
Friday, October 28, 2011 3:21:26 PM
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:41pm
Have you pinged those guys back to let them know how unstable it is? Not only does the squeaky wheel and all that but also if they don't know it's still broken they can't fix it.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:45pm
Not yet.  More opportunity than anything. (a) being able to call when it's acting up and (b) having the time to do it...which usually means when nobody else is home or something. Since it ties up the phone line. The first call...I think I was on the line for an hour. And I'll give the gal credit...she called me right back after I was disconnected. (OK...not "disconnected"...I was untangling the cord and hit the off button by mistake. )
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:46pm
Yeow, an hour isn't good.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 2:52pm
They ran a lot of tests...which I really shouldn't have to repeat.

I'd call them now...except for too many "unknowns". I'm sure you have those. LOL  (Errands...people coming and going. Waiting for the youngun to get home anytime between now and the end of the century. Will be leaving anytime between now and ??? to do our Saturday Walmart run the evening before. LOL)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 10:08pm
Actually....I didn't need to call for them to know I was having problems. This entire "region" is having problems...which they ware trying to resolve with no idea when. This weeks problem is unrelated to my issues that they fixed after my call last week; just coincidence.

I got a very chatty tech guy.  I'm not too sure whether to believe "everything" he said or not.  Partly. He made reference to bandwidth...specifically streaming stuff (like Netflix) is really killing their present system. (Which they are upgrading as fast as they can.....LOL.)  According to him, they're doing a major upgrade in this area due to old wiring.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 5:00am
Coincidentally, the tech guy told me some stories about some other big city areas that CenturyLink has taken over. And they've basically having to redo the entire infrastructure because of it's age. I say "coincidentally" because I ran across some Qwest/CenturyLink forums with customers saying..."When it was Qwest...it was good. Now speeds have died since CL took over."

I'd been skeptical of that....except I've seen that in several small businesses here in town. Where the original owners got out while the getting was good...and let the new owners deal with old buildings, old equipment...and a changing customer base. 

We'll give them the benefit of the doubt...for now.

Although I'll never understand why none of them post a notice on their website. Or have an opt-in email notification system to notify customers of problems. It wouldn't do any good for complete outages of course. But for slowdowns it would be good PR. (And would have kept me from falling asleep while on hold last night while waiting for a tech rep. They sure could use some livelier music!! HeeHee)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 8:10am

"Although I'll never understand why none of them post a notice on their website."

Because there's usually not anyone literate available.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 10:27pm
Well...it's better. Sort of.  But we've noticed in the evening that watching videos is just almost impossible. It doesn't matter whose or from where: youtube, news web sites clips, IMDB, you name it. The start/stop..buffering...and sometimes just quit altogether.

Every time it happens...I go to that speedtest page that centurylink gave me. Without fail it shows 3.0 plus/minus a hundred download, and around .6MB upload.

Tonight I tried a half-dozen different speedtest sites.  All give pretty much the same upload speeds...around .5-.6 MBs.  But only one would return around 1.5 MB download. The others would give somewhere around .7 to 1.0 download.

Except for DSL reports. I've always regarded them as the most accurate. Now I'm not so sure. They always give me the slowest download results. Tonight was no exception: .4 to .7 MB down.

Strange. It's almost enough to make me suspicious that the centurylink site gives out much better results than what I'm actually getting. Just odd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 5:16am
Probably far, far fewer hops to the CL site. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 7:17pm
Hadn't thought of that.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 9:04pm
Tried to watch a few video clips tonight and they stuttered, stopped and restarted. Century Links speedtest site said everything is wonderful: 2.9 MBs down and 600 kbps up. Other tests sites, again, said not nearly as good down, though up was close. (Down at other sites ranged from .2 to 1.2 MBs down).

There was an MS office update I hadn't noticed before so I timed it's download. 275 MB in size...took 47 minutes.  Now I know there's other factors involved, but still...that only works out to about .10 MBps.  A tenth of a meg. That's a far cry from 3 megs per sec.

Dunno. Sure seems it ought to be better than that. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:35am
But if you'd care to check my math...that would be OK. (Never was my strong suite in school...or after.)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 4:35am
Yup, it should be a lot better than that...I wouldn't let up on them, they own you what you pay for. Once in a while is one thing, this seems more like a continued condition.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:25pm
It's enough that I've been looking at cable again. Maybe. I thought I saw an ad for a six-month "trial" with no long term commitment. I feel asleep last night while browsing. LOL

You're right. It's an every night thing. And it really bothers me is that their speed-checker says life it wonderful. So does their "modem" if I log in to it. It shows up and down stats. I shouldn't be having any problems.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:26pm
Yeah...it's better than dialup...but it's not what I'm paying for.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:28pm
Next time capture a tracert and maybe that'll tell us something.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:17pm
Hm.  Odd. I just did a tracert to see where the speedtest is located.  I wonder if that's all in the same place (lightcore...century link speedtest....) 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dad>tracert http://spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/
Unable to resolve target system name http://spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/.

C:\Users\Me>tracert speedtest.centurylink.net

Tracing route to speedtest.centurylink.net [208.110.240.54]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.3.1
  2    27 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.2.1
  3    63 ms    64 ms    68 ms  in-67-236-64-1.dhcp.embarqhsd.net [67.236.64.1]

4    71 ms    70 ms    85 ms  67.237.47.145
  5    76 ms    81 ms    82 ms  208-110-248-225.lightcore.net [208.110.248.225]

6    90 ms    94 ms   108 ms  bb-mrghmoqa-jx9-02-ae7-0.core.centurytel.net [20
4.9.121.189]
  7    93 ms    89 ms    87 ms  bb-nlrkargp-jx9-02-ae5-0.core.centurytel.net [20
6.51.69.198]
  8    93 ms    96 ms    95 ms  bb-shptlayo-jx9-02-xe-1-1-0.core.centurytel.net
[206.51.69.29]
  9    98 ms   106 ms   108 ms  bb-shptlayo-jx9-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net [206.
51.69.61]
 10   143 ms   108 ms   104 ms  bb-dllstx37-jx9-01-xe-1-1-0.core.centurytel.net
[206.51.69.33]
 11    94 ms   101 ms   106 ms  208-110-240-54.lightcore.net [208.110.240.54]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Me>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>