PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Internet/networking -> WWW
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CenturyLink..dead horse too?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CenturyLink..dead horse too?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 7:26pm
Looking good...
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 9:04pm
I watched some videos tonight that I'd tried before in the evening and could never watch with Centurylink. Cool. Smooth. No stuttering or constant buffering. If it stays like this, I'll be a happy camper.

I probably should have cranked up the youngsters laptop and tried two videos at once, as sometimes happens. (She on a church ski trip up in Michigan right now.).

No idea if our old WRT54G router would make a difference compared to the newer ones or not.  Comcast broadband sure seems to have changed a lot. I don't remember the router activity lights constantly blinking as they do now...even when no computers are turned on.

Time for bed. 
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 2:49am
Excellent. Love to see connectivity problems get sorted out.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 9:02am
Karl - That's great news.  Congrats!
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 2:16pm
Makes a big difference when opening multiple tabs all at once!  Actually the only time I do that frequently (daily) is when I'm reading all my comics. 

I've been trying to read up on "N" routers. So far I've gotten mostly a headache and frustrated. The last time I checked router websites for upgrading most all had a "helper" page(s). Check mark your current setup, and what you wanted to wind up with...and they would tell you what all hardware you needed to do it.  (Including, for example, adapters for laptops.) 

Now the few "helpers" I've found, like at Cisco, just recommends a router...but not squat about anything else.

I'm just curious if I upgraded to "N" to take advantage of Comcast, if it would be worth it or not.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 3:09pm
Well, I gave this one a try:

ASUS (RT-N16) Wireless-N 300 Maximum Performance single band Gaming Router: Fast Gigabit Ethernet, support USB-Hard Drive and Printer and Open source DDWRT

It seemed to help on reception for my oldest, she has a desktop at the farthest point from the routers.  The rest of the gang here has stopped complaining about slowness of the internet issues.  Just have not been able to isolate it from the wireless G connections which slow the router down to G speeds, never the less it seems to be a bit faster.  The reviews were good and I've been wanting to play with DDWRT so I jumped in.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 3:19pm
Boy. Everybody is making networking stuff these days it seems.

The desktop is connected wireless?
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 3:31pm
Yep, my oldest has a desktop in her room that I'm not willing to try to snake a wire to.  I'm the only one wired in.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 5:04pm
Ah so. I just saw some USB wireless adapters for desktops. Instead of a card.  Always wondered though about tying up a USB bus like that...

We probably don't need the biggest best most expensive. Maybe not even "N".  If I had the guts, I might try bricking our WRT54G with Linux.  Come to think of it, I still have that older Netgear MIMO that didn't work well with the old Dell. (Dunno...the Dell kept dropping the connection ever few minutes. Not a clue.)

Anyhow...the Linksys does fine with one person or two people normal. But once one person starts downloading something heavy...video...it gets balky for the other person.

Found an interesting/informative site:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 8:07pm
Shoot. Looks like I should have read a little more. I just noticed that my latest two laptops are already "n" capable. My Toshiba and the youngun's HP.  If I would have spent about $30 bucks more for the combined Motorola Surfboard Modem/Wireless Router...  (Actually I thought of thought at the time but wasn't sure if that would work as well as a stand-alone dedicated router.  Plus didn't realize that the latest laptops were "N" laptops."

Such is life.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 11:21am
The "N" seems to be somewhat faster/better with video streaming in our setup but the demands of the gang here would not allow for me to test things with just "N" devices on the "N" router except for a brief few minutes.  The big improvement is the reliability as compared to our older router.  We also came up with an easier to type password - The family cheered after hearing this.  (The one on the old router's password is 63 random characters, including symbols, numbers and upper and lower case letters.)

Not a big fan of the all-in-one router/modems.  Just feel like there are better routers that you can buy separately.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 1:01pm
You had to enter the password to setup a connection more than once???

I'm playing with the old Netgear WPN824 that was supposed to be soooo good. But the old Dell laptop just wouldn't keep a connection. Constantly dropping and reconnecting. No idea why. I'm playing with it now. It's a "G" band. Just trying to see if throughput is as good and if it will handle multiple people at the same time better than the Linksys WRT54G.

That's the biggest problem. I could tell last night with the youngun home and doing some stuff on Facebook and videos.  Whomever starts doing something first seems to have priority with the old Linksys.  Hard to even elbow your way in sometimes.  LOL 

It's not that it can't handle the amount of traffic, IMHO, we just need one that can do more than one thing at a time. (It's too much like me...)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:49am
The old Netgear (G" router is a "maybe". Based on some fast testing yesterday. About 5 minutes worth.

Had a laptop in the living room playing a youtube music video. Another laptop in a different room playing a different online video. Plus the wired desktop playing a news clip video. All at the same time.

Seemed to work just fine. And I was even able to access the router's web based interface at the same time.  Which amazed me. Couldn't ever access the Linksys router's interface when somebody was streaming something. 

If it works, I'll have to find a different location or put some black paper/cloth in front of it. This is the model with blinking blue LEDs on the front. (I guess it's the seven internal antennas adjusting themselves. LOL)  They probably did that for dramatic sales effect...but it really lights up a room!!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:50am

Haha, caught me on the wrong thread too.

Time for the duct tape....

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:52am
It's probably amazing I don't do that more often....cross post.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:30pm
Ah Randy. You mentioned a desktop far away from your wireless router. An email from TD arrived today...promoting Range Extenders. FIY Range Extender, Range Extenders Wireless, Wireless Extenders at TigerDirect.com

And so maybe I remember...I ran across some newer routers that keep track of broadband usage.. Comcast used to have a meter on their website...to see how much a customer has used. Either they done away with it or I can't find it. (After logining in to your account.)

They have a 150GB/250GB limit, depending on plan. which they say is plenty for 99-percent of customers. Sounds like it...except they also push watching movies and streaming content via cable. A lot of it is theirs. I wouldn't think it would take too many movies to hit 250GB. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 5:09pm
I tried one of the high gain wireless antennas and it seem to do nothing.   The new router gave me enough of a signal boost to make my oldest happy so I'll probably just leave things as they are.

I tried to find the Comcast "meter" but no luck.  Gotta find that thing just to make sure we're not close.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 8:25pm
I haven't looked for the meter. Not sure if they still have it. Didn't know you had comcast.

I haven't played with it except the initial setup....but I went ahead and upgraded our wireless router. I figure might as well match the router to the modem/broadband capabilities.

And this router apparently has the ability to keep track of broadband use.

NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - Walmart.com

I debated between that one and:
Walmart.com: NETGEAR N300 Wireless Router: Computers

But in the end decided to go with the first one w/USB port and better coverage, it says.

Setup with nice. Easy. Haven't played with any manual settings...too busy. But the Win7 laptops were a breeze to connect. No password to manually enter. Just clicked "connect", and a little message popped up to go push the "connect" button on the router. Which I did.

The XP laptop though I had to manually enter password.

Oh...and they are right about the 2.4 vs 5 GHz bands. The 5GHz drops off a lot in strength compared to 2.4 the farther away you get.  2.4 gives me excellent in the living room, while 5 is only fair.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 5:34am
It's starting to look like CenturyLink DSL might also be a dead horse over here at the new house. Same problem as when I started this thread back in 2011...slower than snot in the evening during peak hours.

They do have a nifty help site now:
http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/speedtest-ctl.html

But if I follow the "fixing slow internet speeds"...it's a bunch of hogwash.  Everything checks out...their router stats says it's connected at 11 Mbs.  But we wind up only get between a half and maybe 2.5 depending on distance.  And the end result of following their test procedures winds up with a link to click for a PC/Internet tuneup (not free of course). 

Comcast cable is still hot over at the old house...hadn't cancelled yet...just in case.  I'll probably go over some night when CenturyLink is really bad and compare Comcast performance.  I thought I could handle CL DSL since it's only $20 a month...a third of Comcast.  But...dunno...we can pretty much forget any streaming anything here at night.  That pretty much kills my news clips or the younguns music/videos. (Yeah...we're spoiled since dialup days. LOL)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:17am
Bummer....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>