PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Internet/networking -> LAN and local network
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beer can signal booster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beer can signal booster
    Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 9:28am

How to boost your WiFi signal with a beer can

Gonna try it, the wireless access point from my provider is barely usable as is.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:50am
I was reading comments (comments are usually very funny) and one posed an interesting question - "Do beer cans actually have nutrition labels?" (see illustration #5)  I'll be interested to know if your signal is improved.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:53am
Humm, interesting question. Without looking I'd guess yes, they probably have one by law. However I just checked the bottle of booze I have in my office (unopened after about 10 years) and it doesn't have one.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:11pm
I was guessing No but I don't drink beer, er, I mean not usually and don't have any on hand right now.  I'm sure I could run up the lane to the road and find a few specimens by the side of the road.  Empty of course.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:17pm

I laugh about drinking but I rarely get around to it. The beer I do have on hand is in bottles and I do recall they don't have a nutrition label. Weird.

Ah:

"Alcoholic beverages are not controlled by the FDA, which is responsible for mandating the nutritional facts. They are monitored by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."

Which is probably why there's no nutritional info on ammo.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:27pm
Alcohol and ammo (and tobacco) have plenty of regulatory and tax squelches on them already to not need further controls or warning labels.  But I'm hoping the Feds aren't lookiing at these posts for fear they might get ideas.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:29pm
Nah, we only have good ideas here, they're only interested in bad ideas.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 5:15pm
Interesting. What few occasions I buy a beer...it's a glass bottle. I don't suppose that would work.
(Although years ago I'd get that mini-keg (1 gallon) of imported German from a now out-of-business Fort Wayne place.  Whew...that should really improve it. LOL)

Actually...ours seems to work pretty good. Linksys....and I got the taller improved antenna years ago.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:34pm
That sure looks like a good way to give one of my hands a good slice.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 8:51pm
Yes it does. Come to think of it.....I think the last time I cut open a metal can I wound up at the ER getting stitches in the palm of my hand. It's been a while. Which is why I don't do it anymore...at least on a weekend. LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 6:26pm
Didn't do a bit of good. At least the price was right.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 6:40pm
It sounded good in principle and now you know.  That brings to mind some of those tempting ads in pulp magazines or Popular Mechanics or some DIY pubs - remember long time ago (maybe still) the ad touting a gadget to increase your gas mileage by 25% and what it was is a piece of screen wire you install in the throat of your carburetor.  Said to atomize the gasoline more efficiently.  Ha!  Cost .05 cents to make and $19.95 to buy (plus S&H of course).  Tongue
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Don Watkins

Didn't do a bit of good. At least the price was right.

You didn't use a "lite" beer can I hope....they have the opposite effect....LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 6:52pm
Hehe, I used a Coke can....mebbe that was the problem. Seriously I might try foil next.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 8:14pm
If you use foil you must make your hat first, that's a hard and fast rule.
afdbhead
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 10:24pm
LOL  Does it also protect against falling satellites? Wink
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:59pm
'They' say it has miraculous powers.
 Post Reply Post Reply