PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Hardware -> Portables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asus eee Transformer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asus eee Transformer
    Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:54pm

Went to Office Depot and looked around, they had both the Acer as well as the Asus Transformer, both at the same price.

Played around with them for a bit and they both seemed very similar with the Asus perhaps having just a slight better build quality. The screen did seem more prone to fingerprints but the Asus did have the mini-HDMI connection (the Acer might have as well but if it did it was well hidden).

Both run the same OS.

I pulled out my Staples coupon and they were glad to honor it. In fact they'll match any other B&M store, no questions asked. The manager did look the coupon fine print over pretty good but there wasn't a problem.

So I pulled the trigger, the price was pretty much the same as online and just couldn't walk away from $100 off and I figure the state can use the sales tax.

Played with it a bit and set up the gmail storage/email and while it was plugged in but now I'm waiting for it to charge, think there's an upgrade to 3.1 but the updater wants a pretty full charge before it'll do it (which seems like a pretty good plan). 

Also set up the remote desktop connection thing which allows me to hook up to the desktop. It's a little weird given the differences in screen size but it works.

Setting up gmail and google+ was cool. As soon as that was done it automatically connected to my Picasa account and all my pics were available in the gallery app.

Failed at setting up my Asus cloud account, the server timed out. Sigh, why does Asus have such crummy web service?

Also installed the IMDB widget, should make looking up movies and stuff easier.

Still don't know how I'm going to hook it up to my network for file transfer, etc. but I don't think it'll be that hard.

Now to go wipe some fingerprints off....

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:53pm
Oh oh oh oh...oooooh....I'm soooooo jealous! HeeHee

Congratulations. (And helping the state out with taxes is the excuse reason you gave Cass? ROFL)

Keep us updated.

Some friends of ours loves Office Depot. Good service they say...plus lets them try things and bring them back if not happy.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:17pm

Got it updated but I can't find any info on the OS version to know what it updated. It might have been a ROM update.

Got connected to the WHS but the native codec support is VERY weak, won't play AVI files for instance. I installed a market app but I can't get it to see the WHS so I've got some networking tweaks to look into.

The video is better than I would have expected.

Yup, as far as I know they have a 14 day return policy. Don't expect to take them up on it....

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 6:57pm
I "thought" I could see an interest buildup in posts about tablets.  Those thoughts change from interest to "Gotta have one, especially with the incentives".  That's my MO at least.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 8:46pm
Give me a "discount" and I'm good to go. Typing from the pad as we, uh, speak.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 9:16pm
Docked or undocked?  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:33am

Got no dock so I'm always undocked. Wanted to check on a movie so I fired it up and slid by here real quick.

Not great for typing more than just a bit at least in bed.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 2:25pm
Oh...no dock option? Or a real keyboard option is actually what I'm wondering?  We had touch screen computers at the printing place....but they also had keyboards. A few times when we had to use the touchscreen keyboard...I thought I'd go crazy.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 3:35pm
They have a very nice keyboard dock but for what I'm using it for and seeing as how it's $150 it's an option I'm passing on.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:28pm
I have to say that is pretty cool.  It would be good for a kid to use in college, but since you have a desktop and laptop I can see why you wouldn't want to bother.
 Post Reply Post Reply