PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Movies & video entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redbox - FAIL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redbox - FAIL
    Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:00am

Well, not really a total fail but I figured I'd give them a shot as I missed a new release on Netflix and it was gonna be in terminal "long wait" status for ages. And what's a buck?

So Thursday I set up an account (thought I had one and they said they were sending an email with my password but it never showed up) and then went to enter my credit card info and got this:

"Sorry, something went wrong. Please wait a couple of minutes and try again."

Continued to try periodically and finally called Friday.

After a hold "We're having problems because we're getting so many new customers, try again."

I'm still getting it Sunday morning.

Sure one can use the box without an online account and it is remarkably easy but comon' guys, surely a company that relies on technology can manage a fix like this?

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:02am
Oh. I guess I know even less about them than I thought.  Like...what's an online account useful for?
(Guess I can look it up.)

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:04am

Good for reserving movies before you go. Saves time and ensures that it's not a wasted trip unless you're just browsing and it's too hot to browse outside (grin).

Plus I have a few promos for a freebie with each rental.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 7:44am
We rented one movie from them my youngest wanted to see.  I set up an account at that time.  I could get used to it if I get too disappointed with Netflix.  The Walmart has their box inside but I would hate to stand there and browse.  Seems like there is always one or two people waiting in line there.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 8:22am
Do they have a location checker?  We were at a Kroger yesterday, same town as the Walmart, and noticed a Redbox. Nobody around either.

Our local grocery has a DVD rental also.  I've never taken the time to check it out. No idea if it's local or an alternate franchise. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:12am

I went early and there wasn't any line. I don't go to the store often but I don't think I've ever seen anyone using it.

And drop off at 6 am was a piece of cake.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:13am
Oh, sorry, yes, there's the usual zip code location thingie right on the home page.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 4:39pm
We have a couple in town, both inside the WalMart.  I've breifly looked at it but never rented from it.  As we speak I have a couple of DVDs I checked out at the library to fill a void until my next Netflix arrives.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 10:07pm
There was a very interesting 2 hour documentary on PBS tonight, to be repeated at midnignt, about the War of 1812.  A war we fought that is very sparsely reported and most know so little about.  We were very fortunate to come out of that war intact with our country as it was when we went in.  We probably had reason but not the resources to enter that war in the first place as we were very young and awfully unprepared and pretty broke.  Incredible incompetence on both sides it seems to me.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 3:14pm
About the only good thing to come out of that war was Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans". IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply