PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Hardware -> Other Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amazon tablet...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazon tablet...
    Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:37pm
This doesn't say much about Amazon's tablet that is coming out, but mostly about technology behind what will tie their hardware together...
Amazon Tablet's Secret Sauce For Beating Apple
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 4:14am
Cool. I've kinda been hanging back waiting to see what the A will do. "Problem" is that 1) I doubt if it will be in color  and 2) doubt if it'll have a touch screen. Sigh, so many decisions.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:08am
Huh? No color? And no touch screen....doubt if it will sell.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:10am
The Kindle is B&W and no touch screen but it sells well. The free wireless makes up for a lot. Plus it's a lot cheaper.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:13am
Did I read too fast (again)?  I thought this was going to be a full fledged tablet...not just an e-reader.  That would be like turning in your big color HDTV for a small color flatscreen (and no remote) just to get free cable or satellite service.  (Now that I've said that...I've got to think about it. LOL)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:15am
Just speculation on my part. So far Amazon has eschewed the color/touch form factor in favor of e-ink which is VERY readable, just don't see them deviating since their's is primarily a reading device.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:32am
Interesting. I did a little more reading. Some assume the tablet will be used mostly as an e-reader, and "...we can surmise that Amazon has its eye on the information, graphics, and color-rich magazine and textbook markets with the new device." 

And there's a lot of speculation that they are aiming for a very large business use of it. I'm not sure how that would play into the color vs non-color  aspect.

On the other hand...a few weeks back I read a review of a tear-down of an iPad.  It said one-third of the cost of an iPad is the color touch-screen.  Actually not the screen itself...but the gizmo inside that makes it work. 

So maybe the tablet isn't their ultimate objective (product)....a WAG.  Perhaps it's just a marketing device that will let them better sells 'stuff' to Amazon table users....
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:34am
Dunno but I'm kind of waiting for Kindle 4 before I jump. Free wireless is pretty attractive.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:39am
I'd like to get my hands on one...just to get a feel.  I'd had hopes of making a trip to Fry's before the summer is over. Haven't been there in several years.  (Partly because it would be like a fat man going into a sweet store just to look and smell the products.Cry
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:40am
I've read that the Kindle is available at Target stores.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 6:50am
Thanks. I'll try and remember the next time we are near one.  (Probably in the fall when it's cooler for my sweeties....wife and puppy.)

It's been tempting several times. I do most my reading already via laptop and internet.  And while browsing for books (gifts) at Amazon...the download and read now is sure tempting. Nothing like instant gratification. HeeHee
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:18am
For me, the great battery life is what makes the Kindle great, due to the e-ink screen.  I know a few people that have one and they love it.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:28am
Ya wanna tablet?  All you have to do is go  buy yourself a Hyundai Genesis - It's owner's manual is on a tablet that comes with the car.  http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis-coupe/  Or that's what the tv commercial implied.
 Post Reply Post Reply