PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Whether the Weather
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whether the Weather 06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 299>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whether the Weather 06
    Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 3:54pm
Indeed. Back to a high of (very welcome) 84 tomorrow. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 5:29pm
Maybe 55 today and very windy again. It was 62 at work and very breezy inside also. Till I found a switch and turned the blower off. (According to the maintenance dude...when it hit 80-something a while back, management had him turn the heat off. They behave as they are heating, but all they do is blow the air around.  Good thing we work hard and produce heat. LOL)

Wow...I see our forecast for tonight is a low 0f 33. And Monday has a high of 49. Oh well...
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 5:52pm
Send some of that down here! We peaked out at 95.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 12:26pm
We had frost on the pumpkins this morning. Well...would have if we'd have any pumpkins. And tonight again also per the weather forecast.

Got the yard mowed...in record time thanks to Toro.  I was a few miles out of town on my way to Lowes to get a Troy-Bilt that I'd researched online.  And decided to check out Hilty's...a local shop out in the country a few miles. I think it's Amish owned, but not positive.

Anyhow...I told the fellow what I was doing and he said, "We have that...and at the same price as Lowes."  Actually they'd didn't, they have Toro but it was almost an identical twin of the Troy-Bilt. And they let me have it at the same price.

The one I got has a variable speed drive which at first I didn't like.  It goes faster full tilt than I like to walk.  But once I got used to using it, it's quite handy to be able to adjust speed on the fly just by raising or lowering   And it done a heck of a job on our tall wet grass in mulching mode. (I'd made sure this came with multi-capabilities: mulch, rear bag or side-discharge.)

And best of all...I only had to drive about 4 miles round trip versus about 35 miles. 
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 12:39pm
A new toy is always fun!  I think it's Toro mowers in TV ads I've been seeing lately that say the mower matches your wishes.  Goes fast if you wish, slows down if just strolling.  I hope it does a fine job for you for a long while.  My Deere is not running like a Deere at the moment and has been in the shop for a week (they told me 10 day backlog).  Hopefully I'll get it early next week running like a Deere again.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 1:44pm
Excellent! I've always had good luck with Toro stuff.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 3:28pm
I've only owned two mowers. The first was a Toro that lasted 17 years.  And the second is the Craftsman that I've been using. (That's since 1981...post-Army days.)

I figured it might handle grass and twigs pretty good. They brought the mower out of the back all gassed up and ready to go. The salesman, an older fellow, was giving me a brief rundown on it...including how to start it. Which he did and off down the aisle he went demonstrating the variable drive...and headed for the doorway.  This was on a bare concrete floor.  Except for right in front of the main door where there was one of those big heavy thick rubber mats. LOL  Any mower that can suck-up and chop off about a 6-inch by 24" corner of one of those things and keep on running ought to handle anything in my yard.  And the sales guy, "Well....that wasn't very smart was it." LOL

I figure if the fastest speed turns out to be too fast and inconvenient...I'll just duck-tape a 'stop block' on the underside of the handlebar to make it easier. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 4:04pm
Cool! I currently have a Craftsman from 2001 and it's still running strong. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:13am
No frost this morning!

There was a Sears ad in my inbox this morning. I see they now have a search helper for finding the right mower. And a "compare to Lowes/Home Depot" service.  Not sure if it's new...but I don't remember it from just a couple of days ago when I was browsing mowers.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_Blue+Crew+Yard?adCell=W21&adCell=W21

Got to laugh.  I played with it just to see how well it did. HeeHee  It "found" stuff for me. But when I'd choose the "compare" to Lowes/Home Depot option...all I'd get was a "there are no exact products at Lowes or Home Depot that compares to..."  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:16am

Sears has become such a disappointment that I rarely consider them any longer.

We have a lower high predicted for today, only 86 and we're starting out very overcast.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:25am
Well, I fibbed...or was out too early and didn't notice the frost on account of darkness. LOL
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:04pm
I got home about 7 this evening to a light sprinkle and some non-threatening rolling thunder.  When I finally got to a radar site it looks like an orphan mass of weather about 30 or 40 miles wide and maybe 150 in length.  Pretty meek looking and I still have only had sprinkles.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:10pm
We have 5 days of a chance starting Wednesday. Sure hope so, we're back to needing it.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
No rain in our forecast till Saturday. Good. I might get some compost from the city recycle site and get it worked in.  And might not be too hot of a week for outdoor work:

Mon:
High: 64°
Low: 36°

Tues:
High: 49°
Low: 33°

Wed:
High: 53°
Low: 31°

Thur:
High: 59°
Low: 40°

Today was in the low sixties. Just a beautiful Easter Sunday.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:01am
31? Brrrr....Our lowest low is 59 and our highest is 70.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:21am
Last night was almost a non-event - 0.08" precip and just enough to produce a dense fog this morning and keep the topsoil damp.  Pretty soggy out this morning.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 2:18pm
I forget where we put "growing things" and couldn't find it so I'll just slip this in here.  My Early Girl tomato plants are beginning to make little tomatoes.  I guess they are true to their name   http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=8373855009/a=30990010_30990010/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 2:58pm
Cool. How much longer now? 
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:16pm
Total to maturity = 52 days so I figure a tomato on the table come May 15th.  How's that for pinpoint forecasting?
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:38am
Pretty good. Maybe we should have a "tomato pool" eh! 

32 here this morning.  I was going to go to the city compost site after work yesterday and have them load my pickup. (Two days a week they will use their scoop to load. Other days...shovel by hand.) But between the wind and it only being 40 degrees...I decided discretion was the better part of staying warm.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 299>