PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> Hardware tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing a Cpu fan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing a Cpu fan?
    Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 12:18pm
Hello everyone, I recently turned my Sony Vaio desktop on and got an error that read 1st cpu fan speed error.  I have been going to school for It tech support and would like to try my hand at replacing it myself.  Are there any tips you can give me for finding the right fan, and taking my all in one apart.  I have not covered all in one's in school yet only desktops and laptops.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much :)
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 6:02am
What brand/model cpu is installed?
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 6:06am
I'd start with searching ebay with the model number of the computer for the fan, in case it's a non-standard fan.  (I'm assuming you checked out the manufacturers website already.)  Definitely check out youtube for tear-down videos.  You might find a tear-down for you're model or one similar.

I hope it goes well for you.  Let us know how it turns out.
rachelle.yakim View Drop Down

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:40pm
I found a tear down video, and I got it all apart, so now that I cannot turn my computer on how do i find out which processor I am using ?
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 1:52pm
It will usually tell you in the POST but if you can no longer boot looking for the specs is probably the best bet short of removing the CPU fan and inspecting the chip. What brand/model computer is it?
rachelle.yakim View Drop Down

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 2:12pm
Well after I tore the computer down, and called Sony they explained that the fan would cost $125.  So I decided to try and put the computer back together and figure out which processor I was running, and the fan worked.  I am not an expert but maybe it could have been that the connection was just loose? I cleaned it all up, and got rid of the dust and seems to be working fine, not running hot or anything.  Lucky break I guess, Thanks guys :)
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 2:53pm
Sounds like a win!  Good job.  Dust or a loose connection could cause a fan issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply