PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> System tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A sysadmin's top ten tales of woe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A sysadmin's top ten tales of woe
    Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:55pm

A sysadmin's top ten tales of woe

The comments are worth a read as well.

Ouch.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 6:49pm
ROFL  I'm glad I'm not into admin support. (This way I can laugh at them...)
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 6:16am
Loved the closing line:  "It all goes to show that knowledge can be acquired from an adequate collection of textbooks, but true experience requires walking the minefield."

Fun read!  ...as well as the comments!  Very British.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 6:23am

I guess my best is back when I was doing big machine stuff. Fortunately I wasn't The Guy at that point.

We had all kinds of power problems and had these HUGE power conditioners put in. I mean they were big, about the size of a VW bug and there were three of them. They ran so hot we had to put in more AC.

All to no avail.

Finally on a very hot Friday afternoon the power just went out to the whole building. Dead. Nothing.

The transformer (supplied by the electric company) to the building had fried. It was a 150 KVA transformer. We were drawing something north of 300 KVA.

They had to get a transformer from somewhere far away AND rig new cables into the service panel in the building. It wasn't the longest run in the world but it wasn't short, either and those are BIG cables.

Finally on Sunday afternoon they had power back and we got the work done.

While I wasn't The Guy I was the guy that had to babysit them through the whole process.

So the lesson is: Look at everything, don't trust anybody and don't necessarily look for complex solutions to simple problems.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 7:13am
Ruins a fellow's weekend, but good thing it was a Friday, assuming the building was closed on the weekend.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 7:34am

Yeah, we dodged one. Lots of weekends back in those days. I remember one year it was easier to calculate the number of days I had off rather than the weekends I worked. 

That number? 18.

And no, no overtime.

Post Reply Post Reply