PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Other & Virtual machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 98/SE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 98/SE
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 3:55pm
HeeHee Don't ask. Don't tell. 

(A boring day and too many skeeters and bugs outdoors...)

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/9803-how-to-install-windows-98/
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 8:57pm
I'm tired just thinking about installing Win98.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:31pm
Me too.

It was either that or go outside and do some yard stuff. But the skeeters and other bugs are so bad...if I didn't keep a leash on our puppy...he'd probably get carried off. Wink

It didn't go well. I ran into my old Win98/SE disk a while back. And managed to find the key. So....

I tried it on the old Dell laptop...which I use for wild experiments.  It sort of installs..but not completely.  Never with the CD-ROM being recognized...along with a lot of other hardware devices.

I "could" reinstall XP...use a driver backup program and save to a small partition on the HD. Maybe. It's still a matter of installing an older OS on newer hardware. And it was designed with XP...whose drivers may or may not work with 98.

Just an experiment. (Plus, I have an old tape drive that only works with 98. Kinda curious if it still works.)

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:05am
Looks like the Win98/SE project is a RIP. (And makes me wonder how folks install it using the Win7 virtual OS thingie...).

Tried one last time last night after having a brainstorm: found a driver backup program at Source Forge that works with Win98 thru Win7. 

But it's a never ending road of electronic potholes. Win98 wouldn't see the NTFS partition where I'd saved Dell driver downloads and also the driver program backups. I was proud of myself that I managed to use Partition Magic boot floppies and convert that partition from NTFS to Fat32. (Yes...this laptop was bought in the days when it came with an optional exchangeable CD/DVD-ROM and Floppy Drive.)

But...Dell drivers won't install on Win98. And the driver backup program needs Net2 to work. And Win98 won't recognize the saved XP drivers as having anything to do with my hardware. LOL And so on and so forth.  Except for running in compatibility mode, with no CD/DVD drive, no USB, sound, internet, etc....it's a perfect install. HeeHeee

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 12:06pm
LOL!  Well, it worked very well way back when.  It deserves an applause for what it did do for us back then.  Clap
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 3:24pm
If I can find some old (literally "old") junk computers at yard sales or such...I may diddle some more with it.  Just to play with. XP and 7 get boring after a while...nothing much challenging to help stimulate the brain cells. LOL  And Linux...that over stimulates my brain cells...or nerves.  
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:14pm
Win98 will definitely keep you stimulated.  I always had something going on that needed solving and during that time I was my brother's "go to guy" even knowing as little as I did.  He was the impulsive/impatient one forever punching or clicking buttons and keys he shouldn't have.  I've seen his desktop in laughable condition with the task bar taking up half the screen and on the top or side and all the icons of the Control Panel showing on the desktop.  How some of that happened I guess I'll never know.  Of course I had my own issues at times too.  And I resisted upgrading to XP for the longest.  ??
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 8:06pm
Ah...the good old days....often just old. HeeHee
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 8:20pm
Yeah, I remember holding onto Win2k with a death grip.  Didn't want any of that verification stuff on my computer.
 Post Reply Post Reply