PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Hardware -> Hard Drives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fantom drives...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fantom drives...
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 5:22am
Can't remember if it was just one person or more than one that bought a Fantom drive(s)....external USB.

So...how they working out for ya?

(I'm browsing. I was testing out Win7's backup feature last night on the new college notebook. Just going by default settings so I could tell the youngun when she does it...just go OK OK OK. OK!)

Anyhow....I was using a 100GB laptop drive I had laying around. Used an adapter and connected to USB.

After maybe 45 minutes or so...up popped a message that the backup could not be completed.  The target drive is too small.  Wow...I figured 100GB would be plenty big for a text run, but apparently not. (It was doing a data backup, plus a "system state").

Here I go...rambling again.  LOL  Anyhow...I'm browsing now for maybe a 1 or 2 TB dedicated backup drive.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 5:23am
It works fine but it is noisy, far too noisy to use as the DVR drive that I intended it to be but more than okay as a backup or computer drive if you've got a lot of stuff going on anyway.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:11am
I've been using these 3.5” SATA to USB 2.0 and eSATA NexStar CX drive enclosure from Vantec.  They have an aluminum case and solid connections.  You just don't want them resting on a hard surface if you're wanting them to be quiet.  (A cork coaster works fine for me to muffle the noise.)  I now have two with 1 TB drives in each.

As to backups, there is some difference between versions of Win7 that I've noticed.  Some make just the image by default while others make an image and do another form of backup which tries to snare all you data files - docs, music, videos, etc.  I didn't bother digging into it much since I had plenty of room on the drives.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:48am
Thanks to both.

I didn't dig into either. Mainly because I wanted something "simple" that somebody non-geeky could just "click-n-go" without having to make option decisions.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:59am
Sounds like one of those press-the-button-to-back-it-up storage devices may be a good option.  I've never looked hard at those because of the varied OSs I use.  Understandably, they tend to be Windows only and cost more.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:15pm
Years back I bought a Maxtor "One Touch" USB device. I can't remember why...on sale probably. Seemed like a good idea at the time. But it turned out to be a real nuisance. I still have it...but got rid of the backup software after a very short time.

Window 7 backup would work fine, IMHO, with a simple drive of sufficient capacity.  And the backup software is already included in the price of 7.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:01pm
The only problem I've had with that is they have to have it plugged into the drive so it can be backed up there.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:39am
There is that. I was thinking about one of those small self-powered drives, except they seem rather costly. (Self-powered because somebody has to remember with a traditional drive to plug it in and turn it on. LOL)
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:14pm
So true. 
 Post Reply Post Reply