PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Internet/networking -> LAN and local network
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So long Novell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So long Novell
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 2:20pm

Novell Sale to Attachmate Completed

Novell was _the_ PC networking heavy and got in the back door; they bought a Unix core and based their networking on that and were ready to go in '83. I recall at one time they had about 70% of the market but wow, was it hard, nay impossible, to administer. I expect about half my income came from that at one point.

It was just too expensive and then Lantastic came around and pretty much took over the low end of the market. Was I glad. Even though it cut my billable hours by 70% those were hard hours and a client with a network that doesn't work isn't a happy customer.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:14pm
The name is familiar...just none of the details. Life...just keeps on changing...
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:16pm
Later on in life they were responsible for SUSE which gets very high marks from those who are more involved with these things than I.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 5:40pm
Yep, they were big time players in the Linux world.  They cut a deal with Microsoft that didn't go over too well with the Linux developers but, as I understand it, Redhat took over the Linux server world in a big way.  They seem to have been going down hill for a long time.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 6:00am
Windows NT killed Novell. Hard to believe that networking was such a big deal back then.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 7:14pm
Yeah, I didn't pay attention to the total server market stuff, wasn't really that interested back then.  But it was hard to ignore all the more recent hubbub on the Linux channels.  Guess it was just the flailing about of a dying company.
 Post Reply Post Reply