PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Linux Based
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Linux Mint 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linux Mint 10
    Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:56am
Sometimes even the most computer savvy individuals want it to just work without a bunch of fiddling.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 3:05pm
Yeah, that's for sure. Especially if it's used by somebody else....
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:32pm
Well pooh.  I thought I'd do a nice fresh from scratch install of Mint 10 on the old Toshiba. I even removed the drive, connected to the desktop and did a low-level format.

Booted from the disk (CD) then selected install. It progressed so far and then...nada. No HD activity light blinking, (on the front of the laptop),  but the Mint activity indicator was spinning away. Pretty well hung up.

I wound up doing an image restore from the previous install.

Just odd. Nothing I can put my finger on with this old laptop.  So many challenges getting an OS (Windows or Linux) to install. But restoring images works without a flaw.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:33pm
One thing that impresses me during install is the time zone option window. It actually knows where I'm at and pre-selects "Indianapolis".  Every time I install Windows, it puts me in the Pacific time zone. Go figure.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:46pm
I wonder if another round of SpinRite would help it.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:06pm
I've already done two. I don't think it's the HD. It's a "gut" thing. 

After the low-level format...I went ahead and used Partition Magic to format it ahead of time. Linux..., ext2 I think. I wonder if that was the problem?

I'm tempted to image the desktop and try installing XP Pro on it. That's the one that wouldn't install on the laptop either...disk I/O errors. But I tested the disk with a utility...it said it was good. And I copied the XP Disk to my desktop hard drive; no problems. (That's not to say there's not something out of whack someplace else.)

But If it would install OK to the desktop, I'd have to wonder if there isn't something going out on either the laptop CD/DVD ROM, or perhaps the MOBO. 

Just doesn't make much sense. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 9:06pm
What am I saying. These are gadgets...computers...circuit boards. They don't have to make sense. HeeHee
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 11:35pm
Confused  The XP Pro disk that I was sure was bad...installed just fine and dandy on the desktop. Ain't that a kick in the head. Now I'm not sure what to think about the old Tosh laptop...CD/DVD drive? BIOS? (not much of one). (The errors occur after Setup has finished copying files to disk and has rebooted. I think. I'll experiment again. Maybe.

And I almost did an big boo-boo when installing Mint 10 to the desktop. As in OKing the hard disk it pre-selected.  I doubled checked...and guessed right as to which was my experimental disk...and which was the Win7 install. (Almost wiped out Win7...)

Speaking of Win7...I forgot to check ahead of time how to fix the dual boot menu?? (Since it wiped out Win7 boot option.)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 1:04am
Oops. Killed Mint. (On the desktop.) Dead. At least for now. Tried using GAG boot manager. Works well with multi-boot...at least in different partitions on the same disk. It supposed to also work with multiple drives, although that part isn't the most user friendly (clear).  No biggie. Image For Dos and a backup to the rescue once again. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 8:07am
Karl - You sure had a busy night.  You can have a ton of fun with boot loaders.  That's why I only install one OS per hard drive, with no other bootable drives connected during installation, on my desktop.

I've found this chart to be helpful at times:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_boot_loaders

Usually you can use the install disk to repair boot loaders.

I'm not sure Mint10 can run on an ext2 partition.  I believe it's default format is probably ext4.  It might be ext3.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:30am
I think it's ext4, from what I saw during the install. If I remember though, the option to format it different (from ext2) wasn't available.

No biggie. Just playing around. I'm part cat (curiosity and all that).

Do you have Opera installed on Mint? I did...but then got a notice about upgrading to the latest version...except I don't have a clue about which version to download.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 2:39pm

Never mind. I didn't see "Mint" in the list the first time.

And somehow muddled through the install.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:54pm
This is the first time my touchpad has worked well with any Linux installed. The only thing I need to remember is not to let my finger rest on the touchpad as I do with Windows. LOL  Even if ever-so-lightly, sooner or later, Mint thinks I'm tapping.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 8:39pm
Mint picked up on the right side of the mouse pad being a drag area for auto-scrolling a window on my laptop.  I was quite surprised.  There should be something under preferences to adjust the sensitivity if you would like to.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 10:07pm
A wise man once said something like, "I always physically remove one operating systems hard disk before installing another OS on it's own hard disk."

I should have listened. LOL

Since I have the newer Toshiba back, with a book to eSATA option, I thought I'd play around installing Mint 10 to an external drive connected to the eSATA port. I changed settings as needed in the BIOS. What could go wrong!  It installed perfect.

Evidently it wrote some code to the internal HD MB record. Once I got done playing and tried booting normal...into Win7 on the internal disk, I'd get a Linux error code.

I used the Win7 install disk to repair (it couldn't find anything wrong) and also System Restore option. Tried a few other tools and tricks. Nothing worked. And then...yes...a Bobfix. No idea why...it started booting normal again. No idea why. Whew. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:41am
Yeah, those fancy new boot loaders can sure make a mess of things.  I now have a nice separate box for playing with a new OS. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:56pm
It's strange though...I installed Mint 10 on the old Dell which loves it...though slow (single core).

And for a while I had it on the old single-core Toshiba. Great...once it was installed.

But for some reason...it seems to hate this newer dual-core Toshiba. No idea why. Slow...sluggish...from the moment it starts reading from the live-disk. Just weird.

I was tempted to try v11...but decided to wait awhile after reading know problems.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:42pm
I've dropped Debian Mint on my test box.  So far, so good.  Kinda fun to know it's actually Debian.  (There's a little geek cred there, in my own mind anyway.)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 8:56pm
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 10:26pm
I agree with 1, 2 and 5, but Mepis and OpenSuse don't set up near as well as Mageia and Linux Mint 10 LXDE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123