PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> Security
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Security Tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security Tools
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 4:33am
Security on a Shoestring Budget

The last link in the above article goes somewhere where Randy might feel right at home:
Top 100 Network Security Tools
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:21am
That's a pretty good listing, although some of the ones listed are not technically network security tools.  It did bring up a question I've wondered about.

Don - Have you ever tried running a BSD server?  I got curious about this when I heard Steve Gibson on his podcast bring up again that he used BSD for his servers.  He commented on liking the stability and security of BSD.

I've only loaded a version of BSD up and played around with the desktop some.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:26am

I have.

It's a good OS and I like it just fine but the bottom line is that most of my background is Microsoft and having to learn a whole new operating system, especially at the command line, is just too much for my feeble brain to get around. I was constantly having to refer to other sources to figure out how to do something and it took too much time for my impatient tastes.

That's not to say that I know everything there is to know about Windows server but I can find most things or at least know where to look.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:14am
Know what you mean.  I go through spurts of wanting to dig into something, but most of the time I just want it to work.
 Post Reply Post Reply