PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> System tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bootable backup software...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bootable backup software...
    Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 3:12pm
Not too much in the details about this. Rather inexpensive.  And I have to admit....the name of the software company kinda caught my eye:

Shadow Copy Cloner 1.1.2
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 5:40pm
Wonder what performance would be like what with it always doing two writes?
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 6:47pm
It doesn't, does it? Looks like it's just a "clone" program that you run...so the backup would only be as current as the last backup.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 4:48am
You're right, dunno why I thought what I did, maybe it was the shadow copy reference.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 4:54am
I'm not sure if this is any different than other "cloning" software. Seems True Image has it, as (I think) some hard disk manufactures software.  Except for frequency perhaps and doing it ahead of time.

I was browsing SSD's yesterday...Kingston...and it looks like their "kits" come with clone software also...
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 8:41am
This new gadget, the laptop I just got has a built in utility called Onekey Recovery.  It comes with a partitioned HDD that has a "From the factory" image already installed and there are choices down the road to b/u to disks or to that partition like True Image.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 8:51am
FWIW: Still a good idea to make an image, IMHO, to an external device with...your choice: IFW, TI, whatever.  I always remember our first laptop, a Dell, that I partitioned to create a made a data partition. Which killed the recovery partition; who knew. 

Here's another one...a free and paid version:
Review below....
Macrium Reflect Free description, Backup Downloads List By 30 Day Change | PCWorld - PCWorld

Their website:
Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:21am
Sure, I can certainly see the logic in keeping a b/u on a separate drive 'cause internals do crater now and then.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:54am
...especially if they have help...Wink

Sounds like you're having fun with it. So how well does you old modem perform...same...worse...any better?  From taking Win7 through DSLreports tweak test...it looks like MS has the default settings of 7 quite a bit different than XP.  One can hope that it might even improve dialup.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 10:10am
I'm on desktop now but I'll say I didn't notice anything remarkable about dialup and 7 so about the same.  The "fun" is mostly in the new challenge of finding out about it and trying to work with it.  It's good to know that I do have at least limited access to broadband.  Took away a little of the "I'm being persecuted" feeling. Wink  I did tell daughter #2, who just had to jump thru hoops to get a bad HDD changed in her laptop, that if there is a next time I think I could do the job with ease.  At least it looks that way in the manual.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 10:16am
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply