PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Windows XP & MCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

XP and BSODs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XP and BSODs
    Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:43pm
I'm not sure with dialup if you'll see it on your new laptop.  I can tell the difference here though. The older slower single core just doesn't handle all the "stuff" from the web nearly as fast. Too much garbage...too many ads.  It's especially noticeable with Firefox or Opera if I open more than one tab at a time.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 10:37am
Being a creature of habit after I got the desktop working again I still operate from it mostly unless visiting the library but this morning it was working then just shut down and I can get zip from it now ... no lights much less a POST.  I'm on laptop now but the going is slow since it's still new to me.  I've either got to accept that this is now my "go to" computer or break open the desktop to see what's amiss.  I guess I'm gonna have to check road conditions shortly to see if travel is do-able.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 10:45am

Power supply perhaps?

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 12:28pm
That's kind of what I was thinking but I haven't cracked it open yet.  Might get to it over the weekend. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:01pm
Plugged in? (Sorry...couldn't resist.)  It does sound like the PS.  
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 8:41am
Yeah, kinda reminds me of when my foot somehow dislodged my power cord.  Took me a bit to figure out what was going on.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm

Laptop and Win 7 - About speeds and doing things better .... I was in process of installing my Canon printer and it's not compatible and req. a driver download.  I noticed that the download speed in 7 is twice as fast.  Of course that is relative.  2x what I'm used to .... still a little time consuming. I don't know if Win7, Canon, or my connection gets the credit, that's just a fact.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 3:34am
Maybe it's the cold snap? LOL

A few weeks back I ran dslreports "tweak tests" twice; one with XP and once with Win7. Both with default settings...right soon after reinstalling the OS's.  I noticed Win7 scored better...no suggested tweaking. It's default settings have already been 'tweaked'.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:31pm
I found another hotspot in town.  I was thinking it was McDonald's but I tried with no luck.  Tried Dairy Queen (we have two of those) and one has a spot.  Much slower than the library  tho. There are a couple of motels that have them but I haven't tried to see if they require a password as yet. I got the rather large MS updates done at the library.  Nice.  It's good to be able to get a "fix" now and then.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:07pm
HeeHee  Glad I wasn't drinking anything right then.  I just had this image of Bob, hunkered down low in his pickup, cap pulled over his eyes, trying to not look suspicious while getting his "fix". 
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:20pm
Hahaha - I can see your picture in your mind.  No, I have been going into the library and nodding friendly like to the desk attendant and going to a table to do my bandwith stealing with no problem or interference.  I did see a couple of suspicious characters at a table two over that I might have questioned however had I been the librarian. Tongue
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 4:08pm
I have not replaced anything in the desktop box that was having the BSOD problems and it had been operating more or less normally until this morning when it just flipped up a BSOD and while I was reading the message there came this piercing high pitched noise.  I thought that must be a HDD bearing going out and causing the problem but this noise I finally figured, was coming from the speakers and not the box.  Anyone have any ideas what that could have been?  Right now I can't get it to start to desktop so I can't check any errors. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 4:33pm
I'm still betting power supply. It gets flaky and it can send the wrong voltage just about anywhere, even the speaker ports via the sound card.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:30pm
Well that's good enuf for me so next trip to Tyler I might pick up a PSU or maybe order one online shortly.  I'm beginning to like the laptop but old habits like the desktop are slow to die.  The only other suspect for me is the hard drive and I have one or two I might try if the PSU isn't the problem. (I did make a back up .... if I can figure out how to apply it) Ermm
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:39pm
I have an Antec 350 watt psu at Newegg pegged for ordering.  It will replace a 300W currently in the machine.  I haven't done any hardware building/buying for a good while - what does a SATA lead from the psu power?
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:20pm
What does it look like? 
http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/96158d1168459258/clip.gif

If you get really curious...here's a really long page of about anything you'd want to know about various connectors:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
Lots of info and pics....

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:43pm
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:23am
I ran out of SATA on the desktop and wound up using one of those MOLEX to SATA adapters.  
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:42pm
Well ask a dumb question ..... A SATA lead out of the PSU powers SATA devices, that's what.  The power connecters are specific/different just as the data cables are specific/different.  I got the PSU and think I got all the leads properly reconnected but so far no image on the monitor.  I get a little hurried altho I crosschecked and double checked but sometimes I overlook things.  I'll try again in a bit.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 5:18pm

I almost always get the leads on the motherboard wrong the first time and don't remind me that newer video cards also require a PS connection.

That last one was just about the end of me, bet I spent 4 hours trying to figure that one out before I had a DOH! moment when looking at that screwy "extra" connector from the PS.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>