PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Windows XP & MCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

XP and BSODs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XP and BSODs
    Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 6:30pm
My memory (what there is of it) needs refreshing...what mobo is it?
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 10:28am
Not much progress and I haven't messed with it much but I'll just add this - Evidently the PSU is connected alright because the last try for start gave me a good POST and did get to the splash screen for WinXP .... and there it hung up and went no farther.  That doesn't tell me much (except that the PSU is connected ok), how about anyone else?  I should try for a Safe Mode start or look over the BIOS if I can get to them.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 12:56pm
I'd start with the BIOS....just to see if that first initial part works OK.  And then F8 options. Just to see if it will go that far and what options are available. Maybe it will have a boot into previous configuration that worked message.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 4:49pm
I finally got around to messing with the desktop again and finally got it to start in last good config. but things were flaky for awhile.  No consistant restart to desktop, odd displays on monitor. drop me off shutdowns, then a blue screen.  I went back to the interior and found one of the processor heat sink mounting screws loose (it's a real goldberg mount IMO), locked that down, looked thru Safe Mode, ran a couple of chkdsk and now for maybe 45 min. it's been behaving.  We shall see.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 7:41pm
Is that the one you mentioned previously, quite a while back, having trouble with the heatsink cooling?
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 7:48pm
Yeah, if your processor is getting to hot it can do some crazy things.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 8:06pm
Yep, same odd heatsink mounts.  It's an Intel ... my first.  I suppose the idea might have been ok ... if it worked better but it's the devil to get them all four to lock down like they should and they aren't all that secure when you do get it right, at least they can work loose or get knocked loose, whichever, like in this case.  It's been running for about 4 hours now and no blips or glitches.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 8:13am
Ok,  the desktop is operating normally now after power supply replacement.  The heat sink mounting screw probably got knocked loose while I was poking around the interior.  Replacement of the power supply solved the problem (most likely).  Don's original diagnosis.  Thanks for all suggestions.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:25pm

Glad it worked, not common but not rare for a PS to flake out. What does that make it, normal?

Good trip back?

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 1:02pm
The trip was ok, a sidebar event during the trip was not!  Traffic ticket received in Franklin as described in another thread. (Price of gas around the world, I think)
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:00pm

Oh sheesh, didn't see that message. Traffic tickets are on the top of the list of things I don't like.

On the way to Austin today I saw 7 stops in progress and then another one on the way back.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:40pm
Heh heh - My sentiments exactly.  And I'm beginning to wonder akbout me and distracted driving ... This afternoon I had just gotten to town and  at an intersection with a bunch of gas stations and I was eyeballing the shocking prices and danged if I didn't run a camera equipped stop light.  I'll just have to cross my fingers on that one and wait.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 3:20pm
We'll say a prayer for you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:15pm
They put them in around our county but took them out later.  It wasn't so much the complaints from people that caused them to be removed.  It was because the blasted things did not result in a reduction in accidents, which is why they came up with them to begin with.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:29pm
Did we discuss that a while back? If so, my apologies. There was a study that said instead of less accidents...they were causing more accidents. (People slamming on their brakes to avoid having their pics taken.)
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:44pm
I don't know the stats but you have a good point because if I had slammed on the brakes when I realized I was running a red (btw, I could see there was no cross traffic which also influenced me) it just might have done so.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:45pm
LOL!  I don't remember if we did.  Yeah, the darn things make people worry about the cameras instead of the traffic around them.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 8:18pm
Ah!  Bob beat me to the post. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:32am
We have a stoplight like that here in town. No camera...it really changes too fast. A cop could make a killing if he'd sit there and wait for runners.  I've never timed it...but it changes much faster than the older style lights. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678