PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Movies & video entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Netflix changing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Netflix changing...
    Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 12:08pm
That's kind of scary to watch.  The trade volume is burning up the machines and is already 4x average.  I wonder who is the person that had those supposedly bright ideas that caused all this mess.  I probably should say who was the person.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 12:52pm
"We made a couple of big mistakes this year," said Reed Hastings, Netflix's chief executive. "It's up to us to own up to those mistakes and to move forward."

A master of understatement. If he'd done that off the gitgo he probably wouldn't be in this mess.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 1:00pm

Wow, I just figured....NTFX has lost $12b of market cap in a little over 100 days.

Still overpriced in my opinion. 

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 6:57pm
Dunno. Even his apologies were on the arrogant side IMHO.  
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 7:28pm
Just read some expert analysis of Netflix slide. They are probably right. I'm not an expert. Just ticked off which is why I canceled (not just the money):

a. I'm getting older and cranky and don't care for a lot of change(s). Especially if it means paying more for less. Or even paying more for the same.

b. A future with no DVDs (or some other physical media)? OK...maybe I'm a dying dinosaur, just don't tell me. Let me die in peace and ignorance. Otherwise I'll think you're just rubbing it in that you're high-tech streamer and I'm a worn out old coot. But at least I still have my twenty bucks in my wallet.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 2:30pm
I don't buy the idea that the younger folk are all "streamers".  My two twenty-something year old daughters still want  the DVD in the box.  Not for all movies and TV shows, just their favorites.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:43am
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 6:12am
Swipe card fees banks charge merchants when DOWN so claiming that as an increased expense sound weird.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 3:07pm
Yep. I'm too lazy to look again...but I think Redbox is justifying increases...at the same time their profits are up.  Amazing though how just a nickle or dime here and there amounts to a lot...when multiplied by millions.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 6:49am

Blockbuster has turned out to be, well, uneven. They're not nearly as efficient as Netflix where I always get quick turnaround but on the other hand they have some movies that Netflix doesn't have (I'm talking fairly obscure here). I did try their store trade in once and that was nice, again I picked up some strange titles, but it's just too far of a trip to be practical.

I might add that the older DVDs from BB are far better in quality. About 20% of the old movies I get from Netflix end up not being completely playable. Grrrrr, drives me crazy, looks to me Netflix is really digging in their heels at replacing what are obviously crummy discs.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:08pm
We had quite a number that wouldn't play in the DVD player...but would just fine on the PC. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 7:18am

A crushing blow to Netflix?

Facing bankruptcy, US Postal Service plans unprecedented cuts to first-class mail next spring

Plus postage goes up in January (a penny).

Netflix is currently trading at 66. It's 52 week high is 304. It is up (over 2) in pre-market trading.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 10:09pm
Wouldn't bother me if it took 2 or 3 days to send a CD.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Don Watkins

Blockbuster has turned out to be, well, uneven. They're not nearly as efficient as Netflix...............

Still playing around with Blockbuster.

I decided to give their 30 day free trial a try today. The selection of movies locally is just blah...not much to choose from.

I almost didn't sign up for the trial. It was a challenge...slow pages...a time or two a blank page. But I did.  Adding movies to my queue was also awful "iffy". Sometimes the description would popup while hovering over a movie....sometimes not.  And an awful lot of blank pages after clicking on something. Next time I'll try IE instead of FF.

I might have to bite the bullet and give Netflix streaming a whirl. Dunno.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 5:51pm
This will be my last month on bb. The only reason I stuck around is because they have a few titles Netflix doesn't but it's taken far too long to get them, they are still frustratingly slow.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 8:31am
Netflix provides a good enough service for us to keep on going with it for now.  Paired with just basic cable we get what we want for the most part.  I should probably give up the DVDs but there is enough of a selection to keep it interesting too.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:47pm
I got a notice (email) that they've shipped my first DVD. Will see how long it takes to get here. 
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:24pm
I can't complain about my turnaround times with Netflix.  I mail one day they get it the next ... same goes for the reverse course, they mail out next in queue same day and I get it the following day.  The distribution center is Coppell which is a suburb of Dallas.  The USPS closing some of their mail centers may affect that come May but I hope not.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 7:31pm
Settled on Netfix when I discovered that you could notify them on the site about a damaged DVD and have them send you a replacement right away before you returned the damaged one.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:28pm
Not looking good for Blockbuster. I dropped Must Love Dogs  off at the post office on my way to work Monday morning. Wednesday I got an email from them saying they had mailed Soul Searcher. Thursday I got another email...that they had received Must Love Dogs. (Kinda backwards...go figure.) Soul Searcher isn't her yet.  Impressed not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>