PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Windows XP & MCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HP DV8000 laptop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HP DV8000 laptop
    Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 8:03am

If you start uninstalling stuff, I recommend using Revo Uninstaller for clean uninstalls. This critter can also be used to determine where the app is located that is creating a particular open window.  (I have not used this myself but a friend has and said it did the job as advertised.)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 8:13am
I agree, Revo is VERY good.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 8:09am
I installed Revo. Looks impressive. SystemSuite used to have a great uninstaller. (Uninstaller, archiver, transporter)...but dunno...they dropped the best stuff out of the suite after a year or two of XP.

Tried Revo. Looks like I need to do some reading about the Registery cleanup thing. I checked "select all" .....then decided it looked like it would delete the whole registry.  Yeah...read instructions.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 8:11am
Looks like it may be fixed. If I don't kill it now cleaning up, uninstalling and merging the old Win7RC partition back into "C".

Uh oh...error message from partition magic. Sigh. Time to go.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 8:30am
Whew. Apparently no damage done...but first time I've had trouble merging an empty partition back. Oh well. Maybe later.

The instructions here worked AFAIK:
Get IT Done: Recover A Damaged Windows XP User Profile « IT Professionals

Just a little ways down under: Copying your user profile

Where it gives instructions to create a new user profile, then MyComputer/properties and then locate and click the Settings button in the User Profiles section. You’ll now see a User Profiles dialog box that looks like the one shown in Figure B.

Her computer had about 40GB mostly of music and some videos...so it took about an hour to copy her old profile to a new user profile. And that seems to have eliminated the popup error problem.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 8:41am
That's good news!
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 7:38pm
So far...so good. I even edited boot.ini to get rid of the Win7RC boot option.  Actually I surprised myself after changing folder options to show everything. I actually made a boot.bak of the boot.ini before installing the Win7 release candidate.

I'm trying to give myself some options.

a. I installed Ubuntu 10.xxx using Wubi.  Just in case I have trouble again with Windows.

b. I downloaded and installed the latest Microsoft Win7 Upgrade Adviser. It might be a better fit for our college student than XP.

and (c.): I'm debating whether to change her account to a "limited" account.  I'm sure that will go ever ever so well...but....as long as she could use installed programs and save stuff....might be worth it. (I'm not sure how that would effect stuff like photo programs...and especially MS office/student programs.)

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 8:30pm
Pooh. I did a search of HP site.

It's sad. I actually like their products. They have, IMHO, some good stuff with lots of options at a decent price (bang for buck).  But their support really bytes. And especially so their long term support for their hardware whenever something major happens...like MS upgrading their OS.  No loyalty IMHO to older customers (customers with hardware more than a year or two old.)

The search jogged my memory that a major problem with upgrading a DV8000 to Win7 is audio problems. Major. Some fixes which seems to work for some, but not others. And quite a number of folks have touchpad problems.

(Actually...Ubuntu 10.4 also has audio problems with the DV8000. Quirky...inconsistent.)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 10:59pm
Nuts. Option "C" isn't good either. When they say "limited account" they mean limited. Her desktop is ugly. Ugly. Ugly.  An ugly plain green desktop background. Ugly looking start menu. And it can't be changed.  Oddly...when her account is logging in, or out, her normal wallpaper shows briefly...but only a split second flash of it.

I'd get shot it's so ugly. LOL
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 6:50am
That sounds a bit challenging.  I guess they're installing multiple versions of parts in the same case.

Seems like you could back up the system and install from your Win7 disk, without the key, to see if it worked well.  Doesn't it run for 30 days before it quits working?

How did Ubuntu 10.4 do off the live disk?  Any problems with it?
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:25am
Oh yeah, funny thing about the desktop thing.  That's what our IT guys do.  They lock it down so that the only thing you can do is give it a different color behind the logo that's on the desktop.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:59am
I didn't do Ubuntu off a CD...just used Wubi to install it. And after doing it...I remembered the last time I tried Ubuntu with this laptop...it had the same problems.  Since folks upgrading to Win7 have the same challenges with it as Linux...must be some proprietary thing.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 8:51am
Sometimes the updates fix some issues, either in Windows or Linux.  There is a 10.04.1 version of Ubuntu out now that would save some updating time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12