PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Internet/networking -> LAN and local network
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wi-Fi Router Detection App

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wi-Fi Router Detection App
    Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:27pm
I ran across a nice little app, called inSSIDer, that tells you what wireless networks are available in your vecinity.  If you know what channel everyone else's router is set on you can change what yours is set on to minimize interference.  For instance, if everyone is on channels 1, 6 and 11, you can change your channel to 9.  Even if your reception is fine, it's cool little app for seeing who else is around.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 8:47am
Cool.  Installed and ran it this morning.  Nobody else on the same channel...with about five other routers showing up.  They'd probably be too weak to piggyback on even if I was inclined to do so.  
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:08am
It gave a bit more information on the routers than I had seen before.  Funny thing, there used to be mostly WPA enabled routers around us but now they are all WEP or have no encryption.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:21am

We have five others beside myself. One WEP, one WPA-TKIP, two "none" and one RSNA-CCMP.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 5:09pm
From what little I've read RSNA-CCMP is somewhat like WPA2, so that seems to be a pretty secure router.  Can you believe the number in the "none" category?
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 5:30pm
Hard to believe.  I didn't broadcast the SSID for a while...but it got to be a pain sometimes...especially with the Netbook and/or playing around with new Linux test installs.

So I have WEP and also use MAC address access control. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:48pm
Not broadcasting the MAC address is more of a pain for the user than a hacker, I don't mess with it either.  We've found that Ubuntu works well with WPA.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 4:52pm
Amazing. I "think" the first time I used inSSIDER, there wee three routers listed. I assume that was in July 2010 when you (Randy) made this post. 

Regardless...today there's 14 router's in our area.  But still, that's amazing...especially considering that the two closest houses to us are now empty. 

(Actually 12 routers....but 14 channels.  Two of them, at least, are dual-band routers. One is mine and one a co-workers across the street.)
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 4:37pm
Yep, that app stays on my win7 laptop for help in trouble shooting.  Comes in handy when quickly trying to fish out what channel to set a wireless router on.

That's a bunch of wireless routers.
 Post Reply Post Reply