PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Windows XP & MCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm back... Plz Help Black screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm back... Plz Help Black screen
    Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:24pm
Hay guys I'm back with a new one.  i have no clue how it got to this screen, it was how the computer was brought to me, anyway.  I have a dell dimension desktop, and it is stuck on a black screen prompting for system administrator passwoord.  I recently, in the last month or so did a fresh install, and seemed to be working fine. Any thoughts?
P.s. I tried to just throw in the x.p. reinstall disc and bypass it all together and still the same black screen, and one more thing, I cannot get to any other menu with the top rown F buttons, I tried F12 which made the machine beep, and no response from the machine at all for any of the other F keys. 
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 1:20am
If it's asking for a password the only way to fix it is to 1) crack the password or 2) reformat the disc with a low level non-Windows disk formatter and reinstall.
rachelle.yakim View Drop Down

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 12:34pm
Is there a default password that it could possibly be, because I reinstalled not too long ago and I never saved a password? And could you give me a little more detail on on how to reformat I have never had to do that before? Thanks again I really appreciate you taking time to help me!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 12:51pm
The default password is just hitting the enter key after entering the user name, never known of anything else.

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 8:53pm
Okay, so I have no idea what the username was.  What about the reformatting, how do I do that?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:37am
What brand drive does it have? You should be able to tell from the BIOS info at boot up before it gets to that screen.

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 10:01pm
Ok I can hook it up and boot it up if you need me to, but what exactly am I looking for?  The machine is  Dell Dimension E510, if that helps at all?? I was unable to access any screen by pressing any of the F buttons, or is it going to show up for only a quick second? Thanks!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 3:49am

Looks like it's the F2 key on that box.

It's not going to be available for long, if you're not seeing a prompt to do it probably best to start hitting F2 right after you power it up.

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 10:07am
Okay. took a long break from working on this peice and now I am still in the same spot.  I hooked it all up and tried to access the F2 menu, and it says enetering setup, but will not go to any menu.  The only thing that it will show is the dell startup menu and then the password prompt.  I did get some info from the start up screen:  Dell Dm051 and BIOS Rev A071.  Where do I go from here? I really do appreciate your help and time! Thank you so much
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 10:19am

Sorry, I've never touched one of those and the only info I have starts on page 81 of the Dimension manual http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/OM/j6758A04.pdf">here.

I've only had Dell servers and I don't know if this applies to the Dimension or not but with those I could look up the service tag on the Dell site and it would tell me what kind of hardware, including drives, was installed. Might be worth a shot.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 7:16pm
Here is how a Dell support site show's to clear the password for the Dell Dimension E510:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/syssetup.htm#wp1100963

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 12:11pm
Okay so I followed the instructions from dell about opening up the cover, I found the password pins next to the speaker and I followed the instructions.  Now I have an even bigger problem the computer wont turn on at all now.  Now what do i do? Is it really a complete loss, or do I still have a chance that it may be repairable? Please help ?!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 12:15pm
Any activity at all, maybe a fan turning on or something like that? This is a desktop and not a laptop, right?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 12:24pm

Doh! Sorry, it's a desktop, you said as much in your first message. Found this at the Dell site:

Unplug computer, disconnect all usb/monitor/internet, open it, hold power button until green led on the inside on the motherboard turns off, pop out the BIOS battery (looks like a big watch battery and use a small flathead screwdriver to depress the spring lock on one side), plug in computer, hold power button for about 20 seconds, let up on power button, wait 10 seconds and push power button. The computer should turn on. Wait for it until activity seems stable (1 min. or so). Push power button to shut off.

Quote rachelle.yakim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 1:24pm
Alrite gonna try my luck with this one I am sure I will be back with more questions but Thanks! I really appreciate your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply