PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Linux Based
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ubuntu 10.04

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ubuntu 10.04
    Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 6:06pm
It's here. It was here after I got home from work around 1:30 (shorter than normal day...sigh).

I brought it in and let it get used to being indoors before checking it out.  So humid out today. According to the paperwork...they replaced the power adapter. Nothing about repairs to the laptop itself. The power jack is still as loose as it was. Maybe it's always had some play in it...can't remember. (Though I find it disturbing that if I'd pull the power plug part way out "just so"...it would work OK. 

Time will tell I guess. (I already knew it was a different adapter...a lot heavier 110v cord.

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 6:09pm
I guess I opened a can of works. I decided to boot into Vista before putting the Win7 hard drive back in. Just to make sure it worked.

ROFL  Everything wants updated...which I don't really understand.  First the AVG anti-virus...and now Windows Updates.

Only thing is...I'm sure I ran Windows Update before sending it in.  There was a hundred and some megs of updates that took forever. Vista rebooted.  Now it's in the middle of some Vista Service Pack update.  And I suppose after that....more individual updates.

I wouldn't have to update...but I figure I might as well as long as the Vista drive is in it. (Call it a spare OS just in case something happens to Win7.)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 6:29pm
ROFL  I'm burnt.  Might not get to getting Win7 drive back in tonight.  I'd been waiting 45 minutes for the SP to install. I finally noticed on the taskbar there was a second window open. Yep...the EULA thingie to click "I agree" before it would "start" installing the SP. It was hidden behind the Windows Update window.  Sigh. Why do they hide themselves like that.

It says it might take an "hour" to finish the SP install. Hope not.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 8:43pm
Ouch!  Better to enjoy the challenge than to cry over a "spilt" laptop. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 3:46am
HeeHee  Yeah.  Just puzzling. It would have been nice if they'd addressed the power jack issue, as that is why it was sent in in the first place. Maybe a note on the paperwork that they'd checked it out and that (loose) is the way it's designed...

But it's back. And I've learned a few things. 

a. I still detest Vista.

b. Firefox works fine on a dual core, but just sucks the life out of a single core.  (Actually it uses a ton of CPU cycles also opening multiple tabs, but the dual seems to handle them.)

c. Opera isn't such a bad browser after all.  It would be nice if it could be customized like FF and would handle web pages better.  But....it's a lot faster than FF.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 5:33am
Yeah, I can't give up FF or Opera.  They both do some things really well.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:24pm
One of the plus's of using Wubi to install Ubuntu is when it gets hosed...just uninstall it. No biggie.  Like tonight.

It had some updates to install. And a notice popped up that some files were not available for download....go ahead the others?  Sure, why not, haven't had anything go wrong...yet. (More famous last worrds...) Not sure what the missing files were as most are Greek to me anyhow. But after selecting "Ubuntu" from the boot options...it immediately reboots.  No biggie.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 5:45pm
The cool thing is if you backup your home folder, including all the hidden ones, before a reinstall then drop those files and folders back in your new installation you get all your settings back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123