PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Whether the Weather
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Global Warming...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global Warming...
    Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:12pm

What?  No Hazmat suit required?  And these are the idiots that make more than their civilian counterparts that write this drivel.  Eliminate the EPA would solve a lot of our problems!

That is about the most idiotic set of instructions to an idiotic edict that encourages the general population to use these "hazardous" products in the first place.  One comment reminded me that you can't buy a mercury thermometer any longer yet the same people are encouraging us to use mercury filled light bulbs.  What the Hey.......?
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:45pm
Yep. We hadn't used a thermometer in quite a while...and couldn't find ours a few months back. Went to the pharmacy....only digital thermometers available. Illegal to sell the old style. Pooh.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 6:17am
Any idea why? I thought they'd removed mercury from those a years ago and that's the only reason I can think of that they'd yank them.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 6:58am
Too dangerous...made of glass ya know.  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 12:55pm

This is just excellent, a must read and save.

Eight Botched Environmental Forecasts

Actually every one listed is a favorite but this has to take the cake.

"By the year 2000 the United Kingdom will be simply a small group of impoverished islands, inhabited by some 70 million hungry people ... If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000." Ehrlich, Speech at British Institute For Biology, September 1971.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 4:41pm

Very long but very, very detailed.

2010 – where does it fit in the warmest year list?

So where do the 1934/1998/2010 warm years rank in the long-term list of warm years? Of the past 10,500 years, 9,100 were warmer than 1934/1998/2010. Thus, regardless of which year (1934, 1998, or 2010) turns out to be the warmest of the past century, that year will rank number 9,099 in the long-term list.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 4:51pm

Found another interesting bit at the same site.

On the “march of the thermometers”

That said, the GHCN station dropout Smith has been working on is a significant event, going from an inventory of 7000 stations worldwide to about 1000 now, and with lopsided spatial coverage of the globe.

Huh? You go from 7k to 1k data collection locations and you expect that there are no deviations in the data because of that? That ain't science. I don't know what it is but it ain't science.

What a bunch of [expletive deleted].

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 5:14pm
One more dealing with climate. Not as detailed as yours, but still good...

FoxNews.com - Eight Botched Environmental Forecasts
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 9:13am
Concerning "2010 – where does it fit in the warmest year list?", that's some serious data analysis pointing in the wrong direction for the liberal wackos.

Concerning "On the 'march of the thermometers'", It's refreshing to see a scientific approach being published for all to see, "All the methods and code used have been posted there at Lucia’s blog which enables a number of people to have a look at and replicate the issue independently..."
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 9:21am

And especially when it appears that the remaining stations appear to be located near airports and in Austin the airport location temps aren't anywhere near the temps in the city.

Very weird.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 10:38am
Same with Atlanta's airport here - always a higher temperature.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 2:21pm
And same here. ROFL  No...Berne doesn't have an airport...just a clock tower.
But several years ago I noticed Fort Wayne radio stations often giving out two temperatures...at the Fort Wayne Airport on the edge of town...and locations within the city proper. I can't remember how much of a difference.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 2:40pm
I think the way the setup here is that the official Weather Service data comes from the airport.  Our local tv weather guy has a network of "weather watchers" that also report temps.  The two are most always different by a couple of degrees.  Now when you talk about big cities the city temps can differ a lot (warmer) from the airport (or outlying wx stations) due to the mass of concrete - there's a name for that phenomenon I can't recall at the moment ... Urban heat islands.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 9:50am
CFLs - I just glanced through a short Consumer Reports article about CFLs and here are a couple of bits of info I picked up:
Karl, you don't wanna be using a CFL as a porch or outdoor light - they take forever to warm up and come up to speed when the OAT is down around zero. (A cold basement would be a bad choice also)
Hundred watt incandescent bulbs will be phased out in 2012 (I think I'll start hoarding the regulars)
60s and 40s phasing out in 2014.
Bah Humbug!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 9:52am

I could be wrong but I think that incandescent bulbs are illegal in Ca. as of today. 

I expect there will be a sizable bootleg business.

Having said that the people who lived here before us were crazy for the things and in some applications they aren't terrible but gosh, how much energy could they save?

But then we don't have the lights on unless we need them and that's not all that often.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 10:19am
Ahh California - ahead of the rest of the nation in many ways, pollution control, water purity, a financially failed state ..............
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 10:26am
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 10:53am
Now that's funny.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 11:23am
Has to happen.  I bet there winds up being shortages in neighboring states of the 100 watt bulbs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345