PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> Security
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You want a trojan with that?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You want a trojan with that?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 2:50pm
Backdoor found in Energizer Duo USB battery charger | Security - CNET News

Nope...don't have one.  It just struck me how determined hackers are.  And how insecure the digital world can be. Who would ever imagine that you'd buy some simple third party hardware...could be anything...and wind up with a bug.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 2:58pm
Amazing. I try to avoid any software that is created in China but wow, it's not easy and sometimes I have no choice.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:05pm
Yeah...you just don't think of stuff like that. It might be why some of the more advanced security apps now have an option to scan anything inserted into USB or SD port. I tried one like that...such a PITA...but....
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:07pm
Bet if you wanted to go with a "China free" diet of anything....you'd find it impossible to do.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:14pm
I've pretty much gone to it either works natively or it doesn't. Lots of USB stuff comes with "extra" software that I won't touch, it might be slightly more work to deal with it in Explorer but...
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 4:19pm
I'm pretty suspicious of any usb device if it doesn't just work when you plug it in.  Printers bug me that way and so do mp3 players.  They should just work.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 5:55pm
I "think" you can get pretty much printer basics just with the drivers. But a lot of the software extras are nice.

MP3 players.  Don't know enough about them. I threw a bunch of songs on that one for my honey just by dragging and dropping.  Very simple. 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:04pm
Yep, I prefer drag and drop to using the player specific apps like the iRiver I used to have required.
SofiaBrown View Drop Down

Quote SofiaBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:56am
The Trojan may have been in the software since it was first offered three years ago, according to Symantec.

"We were interested in finding out how long this file had been available to the public. The compile time for the file is May 10, 2007. It is impossible to say for sure that this Trojan has always been in this software, but from our initial inspection it appears so," Symantec wrote in a blog post. "The Trojan still operates whether this device is found or not, so a USB charger doesn't need to be plugged in for the Trojan to be functioning."

If the Trojan does date back to 2007, that is around the same time that there was a rash of products like digital photo frames hitting U.S. shelves infected with malware, said Marcus Sachs, director of the SANS Internet Storm Center.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 5:40am
Just wow.
 Post Reply Post Reply