PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Other Off The Wall Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taxes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taxes
    Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 6:45pm
I do use a local tax prep CPA company that employs a friend of mine.  For a number of years I used tax prep software until medical questions and complications and some refiling situations came up, then I went pro.
I don't watch CSI, LA or anywhere else for that matter.  It's not CSI but some years ago I just quit watching network nightly offerings.  I have seen Linda Hunt in some movie situations - either a villian or a tough bossy type I think.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:23pm
My bad. I said CSI LA.  It's NCIS LA. Just to set the record straight even though you don't watch it.

Actually, I've watched it maybe a half-dozen times at most. Dunno...the original NCIS is one of my all-time favorite shows.  The only show I watch regular...aside from Jeopardy. 
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 10:16pm
Ok, it's not a network nightly offering here (comes on at 11AM each day) but I do watch Jeopardy daily.  There has to be something really important going on for me to miss.  I admit .... I did watch Friday Night Lights for a couple of seasons - small town Texas where high school football was the "be all end all".  And it is really that way in most small towns down here.  The town emptys out on Friday night when there is an out of town game.  All over the state but especially in West Texas.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 9:18am
Tax plan would cost Montgomery families up to $1,000 | Washington Examiner

This is in Maryland. And a Democratic governor. But that's immaterial as to why I found it interesting. It's a good example, IMHO, of how lots of little things add up to something big. Increases in gas tax, water tax, "flush" tax, toll fees, income tax rate and so forth. None huge in itself but could add "up to" a thousand per year. (Depending on income, commute and other factors.)

On one hand though I did find it a "good" thing. Apparently Maryland must have some sort of Property Tax limit in place as the article says they've hit the limit.  As a property owner I find it satisfying (mean, but satisfying) that we have limits in Hoosierland these days and have to rob everybody instead of just us property owners.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 10:33am
I still maintain that a number of foreclosures were probably due to tax increases rather than the evil banks, oil companies and Halliburton, the most evil of all.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:44pm
"It's the right thing to do."  Hmmmm...

Report: Just $31B From Buffett Rule Tax on Rich - ABC News

That figure would be a drop in the bucket of the over $7 trillion in federal budget deficits projected during that period. It is also minuscule compared to the many hundreds of billions it would cost to repeal the alternative minimum tax, which Obama's budget last month said he would replace with the Buffett rule tax.
If I'm reading correctly and that's accurate...I'm sure having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the concept.  New (fair) Buffett Rule takes in about $31 billion over 10 years.  The old system (phasing it out) takes in hundreds of billion.  Just weird.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:34am
It's a video. I guess she's some Fox financial show person. (I rarely check and never watched before.)
On Warren Buffet (Do as I say...not as I do...on taxes.)

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1549310346001/follow-how-warren-buffett-handles-his-taxes-not-what-he-says/
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:39am
There's sure some strange taxes in the different states.  I just finished reading some lists of different taxes imposed by states. One struck me not because it was 'unusual', but because it shows how a "temporary" tax rarely is:

In Pennsylvania--as in every other state--there's a tax on alcohol. But Pennsylvania's tax arose as a response to the devastating Johnstown flood, which killed several thousand people in the 19th century. A follow-up flood in '36 did more damage. The state imposed a tax on alcohol to raise money to rebuild the city, and in 1942 rebuilding was complete. Yet the tax remains, picking Pennsylvanians' pockets of $200 million annually.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:42am

I get a kick out of tolls that were there to pay for the initial build and then rarely go away as then they are needed for maintenance.

At least we finally got rid of that Spanish-American war tax....after 108 years.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:44am
A long war...
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 6:18pm
They lied about taking the tolls away here as well.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:52pm
Boy...this is a hard fellow to make happy:
Buffett Rips The Buffett Rule
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:00pm
He should just give all his money to the gummit and then maybe he'd be happy.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:04pm
I read rather fast. It sounds like Buffett wanted Obama to cut other loopholes...AND cut spending...not just raise taxes on the millionaires.  Or billionaires, whatever. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 3:37pm
Fire Government Workers Who Don't Pay 'Fair Share'

It's good to work for the king....
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 6:54pm
Federal Income Tax Brackets 2012

About half way down on this page is a table of tax brackets. I've clicked on the "couples" tab.
It says, for example,
For earnings between $17,400.00 and $70,700, you'll pay 15% plus $1,740.00

I've read and re-read. Anybody know what the
"...plus $1,740.00
is after the percentage? The dollar amount varies from bracket to bracket of course, but wondering what it is..
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 7:16pm
Sorry, I don't.  I try hard not to think about taxes until I absolutely have to.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 7:18pm
I think that's the amount from the lower bracket(s) and then the percentage on the remainder in the highest bracket.

Wow, I sure would hate to pay that 35% plus 112k. Yeah, you still have some left over but after social security and what not...ouch!!
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 7:23pm
I try not to think about it either generally.  I especially try not to look at tax brackets, even though we're usually in the same one year after year.  It has irked me ever since, as I've mentioned, the first time decades ago when I worked 80-plus hours only to have them take a higher percentage out of my check.   A lot of difference between 10% of a thousand dollars or 10% of a million dollars. 

It's not so much that the government thinks they deserve a greater percentage, as it is they think I deserve a smaller percentage...even though I'm the one who earned it.  All those sorry suckers do is spend it.  Dirty rotten.....
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 3:00am
I've looked at the tax brackets and this progressive tax thing just irks me. In a hypothetical way of course: If a person worked hard all their life to save for something special in their retirement years they could really get dinged. Maybe they worked a second job to do it. It wouldn't take much each week to save up a few hundred thousand over the course of 40 or 50 years. (Also figuring interest returned in a 401k or IRA of course.)  And they could put the money in while they're in the lowest tax bracket.  But just because, say at age 70 would wind up paying one of the highest tax rates if they wanted to use it in one lump sum on a lifelong dream. Maybe an extended world-wide luxury cruise...a once in a life time adventure with their spouse.

It's a hypothetical situation as I mentioned of course. Just something that occurred to me. Just doesn't seem right to get taxed at a higher tax rate when you take it out, than when you put it in.

Stinking government. (Can't really blame the IRS...they are just the collection gangsters. The real gangsters are the ones who make the rules....our "servants" in Congress.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>