PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Software -> System tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Synchtoy 2.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synchtoy 2.1
    Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 5:15am

Updated in Nov. 2009.

Details and download

My only complaint is that it's one or all but otherwise it's one of my favorites. 

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:12am
Would be nice if they update other PT's for Win 7.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:17am
I agree. I've never quite figured out where PowerToys fit in at MS. Developed by employees? Internal tools? Might be an interesting story, wish I knew.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:25am
Don't know. I'd read that they were developed by employees but "not officially supported by Microsoft".  Don't recall ever seeing a detailed explanation if they were originally official MS projects...that they decided not to include for some reason. Or if they were just independent tinkerings.

Ah so...from a guy who says he wrote a lot of the powertoys:

The Old New Thing : The history of the Windows PowerToys
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:28am

Cool, thought it might be something like that.

Some of the best DOS programs were in the IBM "PDS" series which were written by IBM employees but because they were IBM employees they couldn't sell them any other way. Good stuff and cheap to boot.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:34am
Makes me wonder what other stuff would be out, available for free, if employees were "unleashed". 
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 10:21am
Would have used this if I had not found another a while back: Virtual Desktop Manager.
Ali View Drop Down

Quote Ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 11:32am

Now there is an easier way. SyncToy, a free PowerToy for Microsoft Windows, is an easy to use, highly customizable program that helps users to do the heavy lifting involved with the copying, moving, and synchronization of different directories. Most common operations can be performed with just a few clicks of the mouse, and additional customization is available without additional complexity. SyncToy can manage multiple sets of folders at the same time; it can combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames and deletes in another case. Unlike other applications, SyncToy actually keeps track of renames to files and will make sure those changes get carried over to the synchronized folder
 Post Reply Post Reply