PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Other Off The Wall Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am often my own worst enemy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am often my own worst enemy...
    Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 7:29pm
Oh. That's not very nice.  Was that from physically switching boot drives before installing 9.10?  
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 7:37pm
That's the really bad thing about it.  I always do an install with all the other drives unplugged.  When I plugged the other drives back in and booted into Ubuntu 9.10, grub 2 played with the other mbrs.  The next time I tried to boot into the Windows drive the grub 2 stuff came up.  Tried to go to Windows through grub 2 and it said there were problems with the Windows boot loader.  That's down right nasty if you ask me - a boot loader messing with other mbrs.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 7:41pm
Huh. That doesn't make any sense. Fix it??
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 8:28pm
Wiped the Ubuntu 9.10 install and put Win7 on that drive, then wiped the Win7 RC drive and am using it as a backup drive.  I still have Ubuntu 8.04.  It's been solid for some time now.  It's the last long term support version (LTS).  The next one is supposed to be LTS.

Kinda like my setup now - Ubuntu 8.04 for multitasking and Win 7 for audio and video tasks.  Everything works very well on both OSs and there is always something to learn about on both.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:18pm
Mowed the lawn for the first time Saturday.  That's after my usual drill of sharpening the blade, changing the oil, cleaning the spark-plug...and all that good stuff.

It's an old Craftsman. Starts on the first pull almost every time.

Last spring I must admit it did take two pulls.

Saturday...I was getting really worried as it still didn't make a peep after 3, 6...and even more...pulls.

Sigh.

Sure starts a lot better when ya remember to put the plug back in.  LOL

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:29pm
Just like a dull party - takes a spark to put a little life into it, eh?  Well, those gadgets may not start too well like that but they sure are easier on the pull rope.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 8:46pm
If I wasn't so cheap, and lazy, I'd see how much a new battery would run. It's an electric start mower...but hasn't done that in years.  And since under normal conditions it starts on the first pull....
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 10:14pm
A short while back I'd posted a story (or link to it) about some kids getting hurt after a plastic bottle filled with gas was thrown into a fire. (They had been squirting it on the fire to keep it going.)

And at the time I thought, yeah, I've done some crazy things like that.

This is "sorta" like that.  I like to spray the grill rack with Pam or other non-stick stuff before grilling. But often I forget to do it till it's warmed up.  Of course...then it tends to flare up. No problem. Real short bursts. 

Not a good idea to do on the Fourth of July as I found out today.  I'm spraying. It's flaring. Quick spray; flare. Quick spray; flare. Quick spray: kerblam!!  At exactly the same time I sprayed...a big firecracker went off next door.  I thought it was the big one!! ROFL  Scared the...uh...snot...out of me.  LOL
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 10:22pm
LOL! 

Karl - I guess it's true.  Timing is everything!
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 10:29pm
Yes. It couldn't have been more perfect. I'm sooo glad I'd just been to the men's room. HeeHee
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 3:51am

Ouch! Might want to try my trick; put some oil on a paper towel and use tongs to swap the grill grate. Still flames up a bit but no drama.

Might as well put this here but I mentioned your location to one of our guests yesterday and he said he'd been to Berne and that he got attacked by a lion there (!?!). I'm not positive on the time but I'm guessing at least several decades ago at some restaurant there. Any memory of that?

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 5:45am
Lion? Berne...boy...doesn't ring a bell at all.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 6:34am
Does Berne have a Lion's club Karl - one with a cranky member?  Maybe Don's guest was pullin' a little leg.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 6:51am
Yep...Berne Lions club...you betcha.  They're all cranky IMHO...ROFL   So you think maybe the guy was lion? (boo hiss....I tried...but just couldn't resist...)

There was a place outside of town that had a bear pit....Amishville.  (Bern, Switzerland has a famous Bear Pit).  Can't remember why they finally got rid of it.  I saw it one time...and felt like they should have let the bear loose and thrown the restaurant owners into it instead.  Not that I'm a PETA person...it was just a small concrete thing in the ground with a very young and small (and scared) bear in it.  Just not right at all.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 9:18am
He was serious and he's not one to stretch the truth even for a good story and his wife verified it. I'll ask if he remembers the name of the place.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 3:46am
Wonder if this would work?  Better Half
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 6:48pm
Monday I thought I had a really bad day. But not nearly as bad as I thought. This story isn't about me, but sure made me feel better about Monday.

A relative-in-law stopped by tonight. He's a construction foreman. A fairly new guy, mid-twenties was working with him yesterday.  And in the course of the day:

a. Early a.m. he slipped in the mud and twisted his ankle.
b. Mid-morning he smashed the end of a finger...bloody.
c. At noon he had a "huge" black spot on his pants pocket area where an ink pen "exploded".
d. In the evening he took his six year old son to a Fort Wayne semi-pro baseball game.  He was turned sideways talking to his son and turned facing forward....just in time to see a foul ball plow full speed into either his chest or gut.

He says he left immediately and went home and hid under the bed. 

Ouch
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:57pm
Now that's a pretty rough day.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 4:16am
That's the kind of luck where you go and make sure the health insurance premium has been paid.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 4:32am
HeeHee  Or buy a suit of armor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>