PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Other Off The Wall Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am often my own worst enemy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am often my own worst enemy...
    Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 7:53am
Sure is!  I just checked on Crucial the other day and I was kind of shocked at the price of memory for this old box.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 7:57am

Hehe, one reason why I never, ever throw away memory when I take an old box out of service. Once I was able to sell some memory that was no longer being made and got a pretty good price for it.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 8:45am
I believe DDR is still at a reasonable price.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:26pm
Backing up (imaging with IFD) the college laptop. Using an extra laptop hard drive connected externally.  "It's dead Jim."  I laugh. I cry. Just can't get the sucker to spin up. Ready to throw it in the trash.  Shut everything down and go to unplug the power adapters.  I laugh. I cry.  I've got the wrong power adapter plugged in...not the one to the externally connected hard drive. Oh well...what's a half-hour compared to some of my goofs. LOL
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:31pm
Welcome to my world....
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Don Watkins

Welcome to my world....

But at least it's not.....answer here
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:46pm
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 1:21pm
Good. Cool.

Now...why does it ring a bell (the video scenes)?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 2:21pm

I'm pretty sure the video is from a TV series called Supernatural but I've only seen it once so I could be wrong.

BTW, I do really like that song, play it all the time and find myself singing that "It's the end of the world as we know it" line without realizing it.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 9:27pm
My daughter pointed out the "supernatural" in a comment someone left. I thought they were just making a reference to the supernatural in general...didn't know it was a TV series. (Goes to show how much TV I watch anymore.)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:21pm
Had a good one tonight. Though not exactly my fault...I don't think. The printer wouldn't let me print black because the Cyan and PhotoMagenta was empty. So I changed them.  Now a good part of my left-hand fingers looks like they belong to a little blue Smurf.  First time ever I've had an ink cartridge whiz on my hand while changing it. (And neither solvent based nor water based cleaner seems to remove it.)
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:48pm
I feel your "blueness" altho I've never had that problem yet.  I try awful hard to avoid those inks and have ..... so far.  Recently I took my Canon print head thru some extreme remedies trying to get it straightened out with much colored hot water and alcohol and other concoctions.  Not real sure it worked yet.  For some reason I can't get the software to order the printer to deep clean the jets. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 5:15am

I'll go you one better...I was refilling a ink cartridge and the needle pierced the plastic and jabbed my thumb.  

I now have a permanent tattoo.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:59pm
Don - I think you are way out on top with the ink cartridges.  I and needles don't get along under any circumstance, for any reason.  I wish they would perfect giving shots with a hammer hit to the hand.

Karl - You might try Palmolive Green dish washing liquid along with scrubbing with a brush.  It's the best cleaning solution I know of, other than gasoline.  Gasoline just doesn't go well with the brushing part, IMHO.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 8:27pm
I tried lighter fluid. Didn't make a dent. It will wear off.  Bleach might work. I did that, once, when at the printing place. Soaked them for a long time in a mild-bleach/water/soap solution.  Worked wonders. My hands looked great for the first time in years.  And smelled like bleach for days...never did it again.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 8:40am

Have an old Seagate external USB drive that's so small that it's not really useful any longer but I figured hey, let's just throw another drive in it, have a bunch of those laying around.

A real puzzler how it was put together, not even a screw visible and sometimes moving that plastic around doesn't turn out so well.

But finally I did without breaking anything.

Then remove 12 screws before getting to the meat of it.

It wasn't beef, it was pork. That is an IDE interface and all my spares are SATA.

I did get it back together and it actually works but an hour down the tubes.

Yet another growth opportunity.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:01am
"Yet another growth opportunity."  Hahaha - With computers that's the name of the game with me.  Not just now and then either - a number of times each day.  Or every time I sit down at the blasted contraption.  Ermm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:03am
Hehe, yah. But now I know, it can be done, I'll just try and make sure that next time it's a SATA drive.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 3:31pm
And I thought my last enclosure had a lot of screws...at least they are visible.  
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 6:56pm
LOL!  I sure do enjoy the beasts.  There is so much satisfaction when you figure out something.  Like, I thought I had it worked out where I could keep different OSs from breaking each other by installing them on separate drives. heh, heh... The new Ubuntu, version 9.10, now has grub 2.  It will fiddle with the mbr on the other drives in your box!!!  Bah!  Messed up my perfectly good Win7 RC setup.

Oh yeah, beware of grub 2.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>