PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Other Off The Wall Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am often my own worst enemy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am often my own worst enemy...
    Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:32am
Originally I was going to title the thread "Been there, done that, probably will again..." but "I am often my own worst enemy..." just popped into my head this morning for some reason. LOL

Stories of silly goofs, like connecting the Ethernet cables to the wrong ports and then spending a day troubleshooting "no internet". Or using a slow computer for months...only to find it only has 512MB of RAM installed...for Windows XP.

So that's what this thread is for. Those "DOH" moments in life that don't qualify for a Darwin award....just a "I'm alive and normal" award even when we have those DOH moments. LOL
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:35am
I'll fill up this thread fast....
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:37am
I've had several DOH moments this morning. It's what happens when both spouses oversleep.

Spent about fifteen minutes this morning getting my Dodge Dakota truck door to unlock. It's in the low twenties, the seals are pretty funky and it freezes easy.  Found my can of lock de-icer. Finally found a straw to fit it. Sprayed and sprayed.  Just wouldn't unlock.

I give up. My fingers are painful and only half-working (too many years smoking maybe).  And then I notice I've been using a key for the GM Safari instead of the Dodge Dakota key.

DOH
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:43am
Second DOH this morning. I've now scrubbed the sink and under the sink storage in the remodeled downstairs bathroom.  And part of the floor.  That's what happens when you have a spoiled cat who likes to drink fresh water out of the sink. And you're running crazy already and forget you've left the water running.  For a very long time.

Why don't they make those "overflow" holes bigger these days??

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:44am

Might be time to go back to bed....

My brain is very friendly to me, fortunately I've forgotten the probably six doh moments I've had this morning.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:52am
One thing about DOH moments..they can help somebody else feel better. I always feel better after laughing at somebody else. HeeHee 

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 8:00am
Fine
(Very small audio.)
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:51am
I got up late this morning .... after getting up early and then going back to bed.  So I haven't had much time to mess up yet.  But just wait .........
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 5:06am
LOL!  Karl - err... umm... I can't get the link to work.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 2:03pm
Guess it won't link directly to the sound file. Oh well. Home Simpson saying something like, "Fine, I won't every do anything stupid again..." LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 4:07pm

Breaking a few eggs into a bowl for breakfast. Crack the egg open, toss the innards into the sink and throw the shell into the bowl.

But I did it very, very, well.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 4:22pm
As long as you did it very well!!  (And caught it before you ate it...)

I'm on a roll for some reason. About 6 or 7 consecutive days that I've forgotten to take something to work.  None a real biggie...just starting to make me wonder. Today was my watch. Another day was all my pens and markers.  One day I forgot to take a spoon for my lunch. Next day it evened out...remembered the spoon but forgot my lunch. Sigh.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 6:40pm
Cry  Yes, sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. My first ever flash drive just bit the dust.  4GB  About 2 years old....so it wasn't cheap.  I was tired. Feet up and didn't want to get up to see what the funny noise beneath the bed was. Not till I finished was I was reading. <Sigh>  I should have. Instead of saying the flash drive bit the dust, the most accurate thing to say is the puppy bit the flash drive. 

Actually...it sorta worked when I plugged it in, even with the cover completely chewed off and the flash memory cracked and missing a small piece. But....it was dead. Unreadable. Toast.

Still don't know how he got it. Unless it was like last night in the kitchen when I fixed a supper cold-cut sandwich and had it laying on a paper towel on the counter.  And turned around to put the condiments in the frig.  Shouldn't have turned my back.  For a Dorkie whose legs are so short his belly almost drags the ground...he's learning to jump super high.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 7:21pm
"My dog ate my homework" syndrome Karl.  I hope nothing too important was on the chewed up thing. (BTW, I've bought two 4GB flash drives over the last year and have gotten them pretty reasonably at buy.com.  .... I know the price of those things has fallen like a rock but they are only around ten bucks now best I remember.  My first one, a 256 MB, cost three times as much.)
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 9:09pm
Nothing that isn't on my desktop. Mostly used to transfer files back and forth.

Saw some online at Walmart, where I bought my original drive.  Wow. 8GB that cost about 20% of what the original 4gig cost.  Falling prices.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 9:37am
Karl - You have my condolences on your flash drive.  I hate it when a good tool bites the dust.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 8:44pm
ROFL  So...somebody here ran a laptop for a few months (year?) with very little memory.

OK...they may have me beat by the amount of RAM (256? vs 1GB)...but not by length of time in noticity the amount installed; almost five years.

I was playing around with the old Dell 600M today. Ran a HD test. And a memory test. Just not that perky IMHO...even with Linux installed.  I've always thought I had 2GB RAM installed (the max). Nope...mem test said 1GB.  Probably bad RAM...not fully reported. So I pop the case and take a look...two sticks of 512.  I think When I bought this (March '05) I decided to try 1GB...as it was rather expensive then. 

So it goes.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 9:04pm
Yep, and so it goes.

I've got to get my sweetie some laptop ram.  She's running with 512.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 3:37am
I'm debating.  Seems like, if memory serves me, that RAM for older hardware costs quite a bit more than for newer.  And that also makes the HD five years old (IDE).  They are also expense compared to newer SATA.  And it is just a play/test laptop these days.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 4:13am

I dunno, it might have been longer for me but I'll not work too hard at trying to figure out how long it was, wouldn't want to take that away from you (grin).

Indeed the old PC3200 memory is a lot more expensive than the memory for my newer boxes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>