PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Movies & video entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies on DVD thread 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 87>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies on DVD thread 2
    Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 7:27am
"Recalculate" - Sounds like a word out of my GPS's vocabulary ..... But then I installed a new voice to replace that obnoxious nasally voiced woman with Dr. Doom and now he says "Let me consult my Magic Book"!
Will Smith movies - I have an unfinished one that is gonna most likely remain that way - Seven Pounds:  A trip down a kind of dark character's (IRS auditor at that) emotional lane.  First W. Smith I didn't rate TTU.  Might not have been in the mood at the time.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 7:48am
I couldn't watch Seven Pounds, not only did it "bother" me (which is okay sometimes) but it just wasn't going anywhere that I wanted to go.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 8:29pm
Appreciate the heads up on that one.  I had it in my sights.  I like most of his movies I've seen but don't want a downer like that.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 7:00am
My version went back to Netflix about 1/4 watched.  It just wasn't doing anything for me.  I probably ended up on Hannity or Greta in preference.   But aah, The Battle of Britian is next in queue and altho I'm sure I've seen it, it'll be a good watch again ..... I love that era.  And the RAF of those times.  Spitfires and Hurricanes (plus others of ours - F-51s, Hellcats, Corsairs) were dreams of mine as a sprout.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009 at 4:23pm

Not high art and very predictable but certainly more entertaining that I thought it would be; The Rocker.

Plus Christina Applegate, while no longer a kid, is still cute as a button. Shows how old I'm getting.

I did enjoy it and even managed to laugh out loud a couple of times.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 5:01am

Watched an oldie (1986) guilty pleasure last night; The Best Of Times.

I love this movie, it's cheesy, but as I heard someone say once you can make nachos out of cheese.

Great lines, good performances and while it's not complicated kinda an interesting story line.

Maybe you can go home again.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 5:32am
Sounds like that would be right up my alley. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 7:49pm
I wouldn't mind going home again....can I pick whose home??
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 8:27am

Any home you like....

BTW, been watching this on Youtube:

Guerrilla • The Taking of Patty Hearst

and I'd forgotten a lot, worth watching. Also available on Netflix.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 6:35am
I watched Greenfingers a short time ago.  Light and fun.  Pretty British but that's not a bad thing.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 10:51am

Okay, okay, it's probably just me but I got a heck of a kick out of this.

In praise of the sci-fi corridor

In general movie sets fascinate me. I knew someone who worked on them and it was amazing how crummy they were made but how good they look.

Case in point were the Persian relics in the movie "True Lies". That had to be a TON of work to create those.

Just amazes me.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 1:34pm
Cool.  

I was just thinking about that this morning. Some trivia question on the radio...and something about Star Trek first appearing on TV in 1966(?).  My first thought was about how we'd sit there and yell, "oh...that is so fake looking"....and loving every minute of it. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 2:11pm

Star Trek on TV. Man, I remember how absolutely terrible the sets were. 

And plus they couldn't afford seat belts!

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 8:00pm
Loved that link!  Recognized 2001: A Space Odyssey  right away.  Too bad they didn't have some desktop size images. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 3:13pm

Kind of a weird subject, I hesitated to watch it but it got very high user ratings (9 out of 10 on IMDB) and a couple of awards and after watching the first season of Breaking Bad I have to say that it's pretty good.

Not your normal, more along the lines of a Coen brothers movie (think Fargo on speed), but I kind of like it and certainly like the acting.

They're showing reruns of season 2 on AMC and I think it's coming back for a 3rd season.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 3:26pm

I haven't seen them since I was a kid but a whole bunch of Budd Boetticher westerns have been released on DVD.

One, The Tall T, is on Netflix instant view and the rest of the "series" (all starring Randolph Scott) are available via Netflix DVD.

If good, "old fashioned" westerns are your cup of tea I think you'll really enjoy these.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 6:58pm
That brings to mind some books on tape I have run across.  Especially available in truck stops ..  simple old westerns; a cowboy, his horse, and his dog, and a dastardly low down skunk or two.  Don't require any mind bending exercise to listen and are fun to boot.  Especially good on some West Texas highways.  (some are long, boring, and sleep inducing)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 5:28am
Speaking of western novels I'm pretty sure that "The Tall T" was originally written by Elmore Leonard, one of the best in my house.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 11:24pm
Totally agree about Elmore Leonard! 
I watched Courage Under Fire tonight.  A little twisty in plot and difficult to follow at times but chock full of action and special effects.  About incidents during the Gulf War.  Lots of good names - Denzel Washington, Meg Ryan, Lou Diamond Phillips, Matt Damon.  Very watchable and especially good if you have surround sound with the action stuff. 
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 6:05am
I was going to say, "Never heard of him"...but I have and didn't know it:

Get Shorty
Three-Ten to Yuma
Mr. Majestic
Stick
Joe Kidd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 87>