PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Movies & video entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies on DVD thread 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 87>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies on DVD thread 2
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:00am
Looks like a good one to me too.  Added it to my que.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:21am

My best this week was "The Spy Who Came In From the Cold". I had not previously known that it was based on a story by John le Carré. No car chases, no babes in skimpy outfits, just a gritty spy drama.

I was also pleased that "Smiley" was a character in this book/movie. Getting all het up for the Netflix release of the remake of Tinker, Tailor on 4/17.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:41am
Randy, the movie I mentioned - The Way Back - has some pretty coarse language in it, mostly in the first bit while still in the Gulag just in case some sensitive soul might be watching with you.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 11:37am
Thanks Bob. I'll save it for when the rest of the clan is out and about.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 12:37pm
Downgrade Alert!  Randy, my daughter was up this weekend and she wanted to see The Way Back last night so we watched and after a second viewing I overstated my earlier rating.  It's not nearly as offensive in spots as I had said.  Just a couple of scenes early on and not so gross.  Just a little very brief 'grossity'. Ermm
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:38pm
Sounds like a tough group.  
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:14am
Bob - Thanks for the update.  Sounds like I'll be able to watch it on my own while they're still around doing there computer phone things.

Watched Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More last night.  Just good old westerns.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 4:55pm
Perhaps not everyones cup of tea but a week after watching it I'm still thinking about Carnage. It's more of a play rather than a movie, 4 characters in an apartment for the entire movie, no nudity, explosions or sex, just two couples who meet after their pre-teens get into a fight.

I have thought about it so much I think I might watch it again.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:18pm
heh, heh...  Too close to home.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:52pm
I watched K-19: The Widowmaker tonight.  Sounds like a mountain climbing movie but not.  It is a story based on the first Soviet nuclear sub and it's disastrous maiden voyage.  Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson and it sounds like an action/adventure and it was a little but more a drama.  Pretty good IMO.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 7:09pm
My goodness but Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a good movie. Don't know if I like it more than the original and as far as I'm concerned it's based on one of the best books ever written so it would be hard to miss but still it's top notch.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 7:39pm
Wow...had to look that up. Didn't ring a bell at all (the movie). Looks good. That's probably what I need about now...a good movie to watch...still waiting on my Blockbuster movie to arrive. And I'm burnt out from trying to figure out what electrical converter/and adapters are needed for Uganda.  
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 7:42pm
Best thing I've seen in ages. No guns, cars, shaken not stirred, just what I imagine the real deal to be like. The author of the book was high up in MI5 during the whole Philby mess and writes like he knows what he's talking about.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:35pm
I really enjoyed K-19. Both Ford and Neeson did a good job togetheron that one. 

Had not noticed "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" before.  Movies about spies coming out of retirement get my attention.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:25am

I can highly recommend both version of TTSS. The original version has a lot of sentimental value and with it being a TV mini-series it had more time to tell the story.

Plus I'm an Alec Guinness fan and he was Smiley in the original.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:12am
Enjoyed reading through the notes on Alec Guinness on IMDB.  (Was curious about what he thought of his role in Star Wars.)  Seems to be a plain spoken kind of a guy.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000027/bio
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 1:54pm

Double checked and the original TTSS was 6 episodes so almost 6 hours.

After thinking about it, and it could be a case of nothing having seen the original for 2-3 years I think I have a slight preference for the original.

Either way I can recommend both and as I mentioned previously a lot of what I imagine the real spy business to be like.

Plus I find the whole Philby thing to be fascinating. How someone like that could betray his country is a mystery to me and especially to betray it to the stinkin' commies. Being in intel it sure seems to me that he had a good feeling for what was going on with them but he sure thought it was a better system. Go figure.

Not that TTSS goes into any of that but I figure since the author was all part of it he put a lot of Philby's personality into the fictional traitor and it's probably as close as I'm going to get.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 3:16pm
The Blockbuster movie got here yesterday. We didn't get around to watching it though...it got late and other stuff...you know.  But...not as impressive as Netflix was.  Signed up on Sunday with BB, got an email notification that on Monday that it was mailed...and arrived on Wed.  With Netflix it was like one day.  Can't remember where the Netflix disks were mailed from, but Blockbuster was Chicago...which may explain a lot.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 6:27pm
Got TTSS movie at the top of my que now. Sounds very interesting.

Watched Ghost Protocol, the third of the new Mission Impossible movies, not the best acting or plot but the effects were breath taking, and if heights bother you much, don't watch it.
Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:28pm
Heights don't bother me...so long as it's somebody else. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 87>