PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Off Topic -> Movies & video entertainment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies on DVD thread 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 87>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies on DVD thread 2
    Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 11:21pm
Ah yes...another fresh, shorter, start.

Just watched The Straight Story.
An action packed adventure flick...it is not. But I enjoyed it very much.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 4:46am

Think I've seen Straight Story, very different move from Lynch's usual.

Another Not An Action Packed Movie: Bottle Shock.

Kind of surprised  me, didn't think I'd enjoy it but it's worth watching.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 6:05am
That was one of the unusual aspects of the movie, I guess...it wasn't a normal Lynch. (Which doesn't mean squat to me...never heard of him.)

It certainly was filmed to tell the story of the old fart. I might have found it more interesting than some would have. I'm watching, thinking, "my goodness...it's my brother and me".  At least as far as the 'short on talk' and infrequent visits are concerned.  LOL
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 6:20am

Lynch is usually pretty weird; Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Eraserhead and Mulhollen Drive (sp) come to mind.

Never made sense out of any of them.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 6:40am
Ah. Like that guy with the strange name who did The Village and such.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 6:57am
Even weirder.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 8:04am
Bottle Shock - I saw that one not too long ago and also enjoyed it.  Whomever picked the title could have done a better job to draw in the general public IMO.  I am guessing that a lot of folks don't know that bottle shock is a specific term with meaning (except maybe some Californians and most wine snobs ... the French don't count) - I know I didn't.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 8:11am

I wasn't directly involved in the wine business it but I lived in that part of the world at that time and the movie brought back a lot of memories. I enjoy the memories, had a lot of fun visiting wineries, etc. but by the time we left they had become as pretentious as the "establishment" they disdained in the 70s. 

I had a '79 Stags Leap cab (that's the winery that won the red wine competetion) that we drank for my birthday 2-4 years ago. It was VERY good and a nice change. I don't often drink wine any longer and when I do it's usually in the $4 range.

But then I bet that I didn't pay much more than that for it back in '80.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 4:07pm
We visited a friend in the Bay Area way back, so far I can't remember the year.  The friend was a Sports Bar owner/liquor dealer and knew the area and even had a little recognition and they took us on a self directed Napa Valley tour and a number of wineries up and down the valley.  Memorable.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 5:02pm
It's been a while but I enjoyed The Straight Story very much.  Love those kind of movies, whether it's critters going cross country, a kid on a horse, or a guy on a lawn mower, to me they are all good.

Never heard of Bottle Shock.  I've only had Boone's Farm, Blue Nun, and some Greek wine my Dad got from a customer who wanted to thank him for a loan he gave him years ago.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 11:28pm
Anyone ever see "The Lost Battalion"?  Gripping, gut wrenching and, uh ... I guess bloody is the word and almost hopeless.  I couldn't imagine Rick Schroeder in such a role (He doesn't age and still looks like a kid) but he did a good job and by the end I was thinking he looked a lot like Henry Fonda with those little rimmed glasses. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 1:31am
I think I've seen it but it's been a while. We watched "The Great Buck Howard" last night. I liked it a lot, Cassandra less so.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 10:50pm
Been awhile?  There's a 1919 version, is that the one? Wink  Jus' jokin'.  This one is 2001 and made for TV movie.  History Channel I believe and based on a true story. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:56am
Ah, yep, think I remember it. Remember how weird it was to see a grown up Ricky.
Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 8:09am
Something the Lord Made - Surprisingly .... uh, great (well, really good anyway) movie IMO.  Straight drama and no car chases or gunfire but it'll hold your attention.  Just chock full of injustices with a kind of vindication in the end.  Thumbs UpThumbs Up

An odd and first for me with Netflix - This one wasn't available from my usual distribution center but they rooted around and found it at another, mailed from there and to be returned to same. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 11:26am

I've heard the name but I don't think I've ever seen it. I'll check it out.

We watched "Into The Night" the other night and boy, I love that movie. Might be the ultimate LA movie.

Bob View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 12:26am
I watched Vitus tonight.  Kind of odd and offbeat and even subtitled German but contemporary.  Subtitles are easy to handle and not like Closed Caption stuff.  Kind of reminded me of August Rush.  Precocious little boy with a sympathetic grandfather interlaced with many little subplots I guess you'd call them.  Happy ending of course.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 1:42am

We saw an oldie the other night; Soylent Green.

Kinda dated but still a very good movie.

Karl_db View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 3:22am
Wow. Don't know why...but I've thought of that movie several times during this health care stuff that's going on.  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 6:23am

Kinda saved some up....

17 Again was very good, recommend.

I Love You Man was kinda funny. I can't say that I'd watch it again but I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time.

Surveillance was pretty graphic but had a lot of good twists and was entertaining. Every time I thought I had it figured out something would change and I'd have to go recalculate.

Not a bad watch.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 87>