PCNet Online.com. Download software, read reviews, get tips and support.  
Home   Articles   Forum   Reviews   Downloads   About/Contact
PCNet Forum Home PCNet Forum Home -> Operating Systems -> Linux Based
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Free OS's, but not Linux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Karl_db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free OS's, but not Linux
    Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 9:34pm
Might, might not, find it interesting. A article about other free operating systems that aren't Linux.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/open_source/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218400772&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
Don Watkins View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 1:50am
Interesting. I've tried Solaris but couldn't get it to run and ReactOS when it first came out. ReactOS was, well, it was a first release.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 8:41pm
I took PCBSD for a spin once.  Seemed much less developed than Linux for the desktop but I understand it's a pretty good server distro.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 4:26am
I wish I knew PCBSD better, it's killer server software but it has a pretty steep learning curve as the ones I've played with are all command line.
Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 5:55am
Know what you mean, I think it was FreeBSD that seemed too far out there to me.  I'm a very visual kinda guy.  PC-BSD, it's at version 7.1.1 now, tries to be easier to install for desktop use.  It has a GUI installer and has a GUI for the desktop, so you're not just dropped into command line right off the bat.  They are working on a GUI driven installer app as well so you can install pre-packaged apps like you do im Linux or Windows.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 6:01am

My very uninformed opinion says that BSD is probably the most solid, from a code standpoint, OS out there but I just couldn't hack learning yet another OS vocabulary.

Old dogs and all that.

OS X is based on BSD but I don't know which flavor.

Randy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 10:02pm
That's my take as well, based on my limited understanding.  The command line guys that have their own servers for light duty use seem to gravitate toward it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin

Quote Don Watkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 2:07am
Heavy duty as well. The project I was working on at the time was a site getting 100+k hits a day, all served by BSD and MySQL.
james786 View Drop Down

Quote james786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 3:14am
I have used Linux one time but it seemed very hard to Operate. I think yet i am not able to operate that.
 Post Reply Post Reply